PDA

View Full Version : 6 non-feeders in one clutch!

6 non-feeders in one clutch!

cobstein
09-17-2015, 08:08 PM
my clutch of bloodred and fire stripes hatched in mid July and I've got 6 non-feeders. I've tried everything from braining to boiling. I think I will try force feeding them next week. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice with this?

MysticExotics
09-17-2015, 08:19 PM
How many meals have you offered?
How far apart are you offering meals?

cobstein
09-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I've offered about 8 meals all 1 week apart

MysticExotics
09-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Are you trying something new every time, or are you offering one method consistently for a few feedings?

Have you tried washing with dish soap? (I have used Dawn, Ivory and Seventh Generation with variable success).

How about lizard scenting?
I have had some success with putting a small piece of anole shed on the nose of a washed pinky.
A friend of mine has had success using anole saliva to scent the pinky as well.

cobstein
09-17-2015, 09:39 PM
I've tried boiling and braining twice. The rest once. I haven't tried dish soap yet. For that I just wash the mouse in saopy water then rinse it correct? I'll also try the lizard scenting.

DuxorW
09-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Lizard scenting has worked *extremely* well for me. I do have a couple hatchlings I am force-feeding, though. But they refused all other methods. I don't have previous experience with force-feeding, but I've heard they usually come around after a couple months of it.

daddio207
09-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Have you tried a rotting pinky corpse? :licklips:
The last hatching that I went to force feeding but still wouldn't eat on her own I ended up just leaving the pinky in her tub and walking away. The next 2 days when I was in my reptile room I would see the pinky in her tub. By the 3rd day I figured I better remove it was gone! After that I would just throw a pinky in and in about 2-3 days she would eat it. This went on for months until now where she will eat 2 pinkies at a time within hours. Basically after trying for months I gave up on her but she apparently just wanted to eat on her own terms. I would never leave a pinky uneaten in a tub for that long but out of frustration that I failed I figured I would be removing the pinky along with her body. She just turned a year old and eats great but has a lot of catching up to do with her siblings.

MysticExotics
09-17-2015, 11:34 PM
I've tried boiling and braining twice. The rest once. I haven't tried dish soap yet. For that I just wash the mouse in saopy water then rinse it correct? I'll also try the lizard scenting.

I did the lazy washing. As I fill the bowl with really hot tap water, I put a little soap in, so the water is soapy. I let them thaw, then rinse in really hot tap water, and feed.

Nanci
09-18-2015, 07:20 AM
I have a list of feeding tricks down in my personal forum. Your babies are getting into the danger zone now- they should be getting some sort of meal, whether they want it or not. If they are bitey at all, you could probably slap feed them. That is VERY successful if the baby will strike if you provoke it.

Otherwise, I'd immediately try Ivory wash- with original Ivory liquid dish soap. I boil water, put enough soap to cover the pinks in a measuring cup, pour an equal amount of boiling water over the pinks in the soap, then _lightly_ rinse with very hot water. I leave soap residue on the pinks.

I'd put the pink in a deli with the snake, cover, leave for an hour. If it hasn't eaten in an hour, try tease feeding. If you can't get the snake to bite, force feed a segment of mouse tail. Try again in 4-5 days, with Blue Dawn dish soap, same method. If they don't tease feed or eat, force feed a mouse tail segment. Try again in 4-5 days, and I think I'd go with KFC chicken juice. Then I'd just rotate through those three things, maybe trying some of the other tricks here and there.

daddio207
09-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Not sure why Pinky Pumps have fallen out of favor as a way to give proper nourishment to non feeders. I still think it is a lot less obtrusive than force feeding whole or partial pinkies. It liquefies pinkies and is easier to insert into the snakes mouth. I would be still using mine if I didn't misplace it moving. Their pricey but worth it. You could feed all 6 non feeders in minutes. Also another benefit is the liquefied pinky is easier to digest. Their a bit disgusting to clean though.

http://www.amazon.com/PINKY-PUMP-DELUXE/dp/B00PB1BYQM

MysticExotics
09-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Those do give a more digestible food source, but I think shoving a tube down their throat is more intrusive, and I stopped doing it a while back. I have/had (not sure if I still have it) the one that Kathy Love sells.

I've not needed it. I just try a few different methods to get them eating, and have had pretty good success.
Washing and lizard scenting have been my two most successful methods.

kdickens
09-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Thank goodness for the paper lunch bag trick! Nothing worked with my baby I just got till I tried as a last resort the paper bag. I learned this years ago. One baby corn snake and one pinkie in a small lunch bag, tape it closed and put in Viv over heat source. I wait 2 hours then check. So far, I've had to use this every time. Today was the 3rd time. When I opened the bag, the pinkie was gone! He was hatched July 10th and I'm hoping soon he won't need this paper bag trick!

daddio207
09-18-2015, 02:38 PM
I agree that shoving a tube down their throat is intrusive but unlike the tube feeding kits that Kathy Love sold which have long flexible tubes, pinky pumps are solid metal with a ball end. The solid tube with the ball end is much easier to insert and less likely to puncture the esophagus. It only goes an inch or so down the snakes throat. Not all the way to the belly as the tube feeding kit is supposed to do. In some cases you might have to gently massage the food down to prevent a regurge.

daddio207
09-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Thank goodness for the paper lunch bag trick! Nothing worked with my baby I just got till I tried as a last resort the paper bag. I learned this years ago. One baby corn snake and one pinkie in a small lunch bag, tape it closed and put in Viv over heat source. I wait 2 hours then check. So far, I've had to use this every time. Today was the 3rd time. When I opened the bag, the pinkie was gone! He was hatched July 10th and I'm hoping soon he won't need this paper bag trick!

I always start with some variation of the that trick. Glad its working for you !

MysticExotics
09-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I agree that shoving a tube down their throat is intrusive but unlike the tube feeding kits that Kathy Love sold which have long flexible tubes, pinky pumps are solid metal with a ball end. The solid tube with the ball end is much easier to insert and less likely to puncture the esophagus. It only goes an inch or so down the snakes throat. Not all the way to the belly as the tube feeding kit is supposed to do. In some cases you might have to gently massage the food down to prevent a regurge.

I have one of those (or something similar), I forgot about that. It is easier than the tubes. I haven't needed to use either in a long time.

I have used the paper bag trick in the past, as well as a covered deli.

Problem feeders can be a pain.
I hope you get yours eating!

Shirl
09-18-2015, 05:47 PM
How to you get KFC chicken juice? Sorry prob dumb question! :)

daddio207
09-19-2015, 01:59 AM
How to you get KFC chicken juice? Sorry prob dumb question! :)

:laugh: Great question just for the fact that it made me laugh !!!!

Nanci
09-19-2015, 11:08 AM
You just order chicken at KFC, then peel off a piece of skin and rub the pink in the grease.

Shirl
09-19-2015, 12:09 PM
ha! I was wondering if you just go through the drivethru and ask for juice, lol!

But, eww then you can't eat the chicken! lol

hypnoctopus
09-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Sure you can! Just not the little piece of skin you pulled off. ;)

MysticExotics
09-19-2015, 01:59 PM
One thing I didn't think to ask. What are you keeping your babies in?
I found I have a higher success rate in becoming established eaters when I start them out in small bins.
I use the rectangular Rubbermaid sandwich bins.
I think they feel more secure in a small enclosure.
Once they are established eaters, I move them up to 6qt bins.