• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cats and snakes?

Spencer

So, I dunno whats happening with Roxy.

First A few things that I did that I are a little unusual .
guess the first was about a week ago... I got a cat. Was fine .
The second is that I fed while in blue. I didnt realize she was in blue until I had taken the mouse out and thawed it, So I offered to see if she would eat it, and she did.

But yesterday, she was clear and i tried to touch her, and she kinda snapped at me, and also was afraid for me to touch her. She kinda thinks she is a rattle snake and moved very fast to a hide and started shaking her tail. Alright, maybe because she is so close to shedding. Today she shed. And Now I went to touch her, and I just grabbed her, and she was (Kinda) fine, Albeit, a lot more skiddish then usual. like moving fast, as if she was afraid, or didnt like it.
And then I put her back in her cage. And same as yesterday, moving fast, vibrating her tail, and going in to her cage.

So.... Why is this? Are cats and snakes a good idea? Or are they generally not? should I get rid of the cat? (TBH the cat is a rescue, And the snakes have priority so If I had to choose, I am more connected to the snakes)
Or... is it a health issue?
Ive had for 2 years, shes about 2.5 years old

Roxy might well be worried if your once-familiar hands, reaching into her viv, now smell like your new cat. Be sure to wash your hands well after cuddling your cat and before you handle your snake, and see if that helps.

Its possible she was also just stressed from being in shed.

As for the cat, I also have a cat and generally, I do not let her in the room where my snake is because she tries to jump on the viv. So if closing the door is an option I would recommend trying that.

Hope everything works out with the new kitty and Roxy. I wouldn't worry too much about Roxy, just keep an eye on her, I bet she will settle down within a few days.

Cats are intrigued by things that move. Nothing wrong with having both a cat and snake, but if you let the cat have "Free Roam of the House" and the cat constantly pesters the snake, paws at it, jumps at the cage...etc.... it's going to have an effect on the snake.

If the cat does not go near the snake, then obviously that's not the problem.

A snake "Strikes" for 2 reason and 2 reasons only. 1). as a means to obtain food, and 2). as a means to defend itself.

If you don't look like food or smell like food, and if you are not hurting or upsetting the snake, then it should have no reason to strike at you. If it does strike at you, then it goes back to those 2 reasons.

Keep in mind those "wacko religious cults" that handle rattlesnakes in their worship services. Once in a while you hear about somebody getting bit, but for every one that gets bit, there are hundreds or thousands that don't. Even a rattlesnake will warn you first.

All snakes (including corn snakes) can and will rattle their tails. If your snake is doing that, he/she is trying to tell you something.

I have two cats and a dog and none of them bother my snake. I try to keep them out of my room but even if they get in, they don't bother my snake. I sometimes take Hydra downstairs and let my family handle him and the other animals still don't bother with him (I do keep them very separate though, just in case)

Hydra used to strike at me and rattle his tail when I first got him and he wasn't used to being handled so maybe your snake is just a little spooked after you tried to handle her during shed?

Hope that helps a little [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cats are intrigued by things that move. Nothing wrong with having both a cat and snake, but if you let the cat have "Free Roam of the House" and the cat constantly pesters the snake, paws at it, jumps at the cage...etc.... it's going to have an effect on the snake.

If the cat does not go near the snake, then obviously that's not the problem.

A snake "Strikes" for 2 reason and 2 reasons only. 1). as a means to obtain food, and 2). as a means to defend itself.

If you don't look like food or smell like food, and if you are not hurting or upsetting the snake, then it should have no reason to strike at you. If it does strike at you, then it goes back to those 2 reasons.

All snakes (including corn snakes) can and will rattle their tails. If your snake is doing that, he/she is trying to tell you something.

The cat goes in to the room sometimes, As my AC is in there, and sometimes I use it. But its not super often and while the cat sometimes goes near the viv... its not often, and she doesnt really paw at it, Just saw her peering in a bit 1 time , but mostly she hangs out under the couch. ....

The problem is that I AM upsetting roxy... I can tell. I just dont know why i am upsetting her.
thats my thing. Shes getting upset... but why....

nobody on this message board is going to be able to tell you why your snake is upset with you.

It goes back to - "Why do snakes bite?"

If you remove "all of the reasons", the snake will stop trying to bite.

I have 4 cats, and the only animal that is stressed by them is my anole. My ball python doesn't even notice them. Neither do my geckos.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Back