• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I think I made a big mistake.

Cornewbie

Last week I noticed a couple of tiny insects on my baby corn and, figuring they might be mites, got some spray for it. Today I thought I saw some more so I decided to try rubbing olive oil on my little guy because I read it would be a good way to expose any that might be left on him in hiding (I had free time while his tank was being purge). I dabbed some olive oil on my palm and let him run through it (avoiding his nostrils), then let him run through some dry paper towels being held firmly in my hand with a gentle squeeze so he'd be rubbed off. I did the drying part a couple of times until I got a towel that seemed completely dry. Now I'm reading that oil washing could be potentially lethal! Is there anything I can do to make sure my little guy is okay?

Never heard of the lethal aspect.

In fact I've always heard that Olive Oil is good for your skin, and I've even read it's good for a snake that is having shedding problems. I think as long as you just used a few drops he will be fine.

I am curious as to where you read about it being lethal. I'd like to read that too.

I've never used Olive oil on my corn snake, but I used it several times on my Boa and she lived to the ripe old age of 22.

I read that it can suffocate their skin, leading to stress and death. Given how tiny my little guy still is I'm convinced pretty much anything I do can and will kill him.
mMR4ck0.jpg

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snake-Care/How-to-Recognize-and-Treat-Reptile-Ectoparasites/

if you visit the link above and read, down near the bottom of the page is plainly states:

"... A light coat of olive oil over the entire animal is another nontoxic method of killing mites by suffocation. Leave the oil on the pet for an hour then rinse it off. Yes, this can be as messy as it sounds, and the environment must be treated or the infestation will return....."

Don't worry, the olive oil will not hurt your snake.

*copies and prints whole article for ever-growing wall of snake info* Thank you, that's reassuring. I guess later in the hour I'll moisten a paper towel and snake him through it. He's currently doing his usual viv things like climbing his plastic plants so he doesn't seem to stressed or at least not behaving like you'd expect a suffocating animal to. Sorry to panic so hard. He's just such an affectionate little baby I'd never forgive myself if I hurt him.

I have never heard of toxicity nor suffocation. You rub some oil on your hands, and let the snake pick it up as you handle it. I have heard some claims that it takes off scales (I expect more likely, it is taking off some grime, that gets mistaken for scales.)

I recently had to oil two hatchling Kings of the same tiny size (12 grams, 13" long). One was sticky from a mouse trap, and the other was very grimey and dirty. These were wild Kings I found in the kitchen. Both did MUCH better after oiling.

Personally, I don't think it is harmful, but I would only use it on occasion when needed.

Back