PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice! Snake Digestion?

Help/Advice! Snake Digestion?

OllieAndEv
10-08-2015, 12:22 AM
A little background- my snake, Evelyn, has just turned 3 months old. I've had her for about 1 month, and I've fed her 3 times so far. A few days ago I offered food again, and she didn't take it.

I can understand why she mightn't because she hasn't pooped once since I've had her. I feel like she is a little more lumpy than she should be in places, and she has a definite bulge at her cloaca.

I've tried researching it, and I guess I've found its normal for some ground snakes to go without defecating for quite some time, but Evelyn is still growing, and I'd expect that she would be using all the nutrients she can to do so, and, with a plentiful food supply, take in more when it's offered. The other corn snakes I've worked with seem to poop pretty regularly.

Idk if I'm making too big a deal of this, or if it's something I should be genuinely concerned about. Any information or advice would be extremely helpful!

OllieAndEv
10-08-2015, 12:30 AM
Some more information on temperature that I forgot to include--
She has a tank with a heating pad controlled by a thermostat. The cool side hovers around 70F like the rest of the house, and I keep the thermostat set variably from 82-87F. I find her in the cool and warm hides equally often, so I assume she's managing to keep herself comfortable.

mishima25
10-08-2015, 04:40 AM
I don't know what else could be wrong, but if she has not pooped in over a month she may have an intestinal block.
Try to put her against a light and see through. Also, fill a bucket, a basin or a bath with an inch of lukewarm water and let her swim for a while (5 or 10 mins). Beware of her head so she doesn't drown and don't leave her alone. Usually swimming movements stimulate intestinal process.
If this doesn't work I would take her to a vet. They poop a few days after eating, so not pooping for that long definitely means something's wrong.

Rigby & Marcy
10-08-2015, 08:19 AM
If she's going to shed soon she will probably hold it until she sheds. That could also explain not eating. I used to worry about my first 2 snakes taking a long time to poop but now I know they'll go when they want to. Also it can be hard to find the poop when snakes are young so maybe you just missed it.

OllieAndEv
11-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Hello! Sorry for my tardiness, but I wanted to thank you for your help! The first time I had her swim in the tub she pooped, and the second time she pooped a little bit later. She's since pooped again without any help at all, which relieves me.

Concerningly though, she hasn't shed since the first time I witnessed it two months ago, and she hasn't gone blue either. I'm going to start a new thread though, bc I have concerns about her weight too...

Thank you again!!!