PDA

View Full Version : Just fed my corn, now he's acting strange

Just fed my corn, now he's acting strange

Ericksen814
10-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Hey all,

So I just fed my 2-3 year old corn. He's acting very sluggish and isn't moving hardly at all. He usually goes right for water after feeding them he goes into one of his hides. He's now moving around his tank and just acting strangely. From where the mouse is in his body to his tail looks a little strange. I'm really worried and I don't know what to do. I don't live anywhere near a very that will treat him and all are closed this time of night. Am I freaking out for no reason?

Any advice is appreciated!!

DollysMom
10-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I have no advice at the moment other than the observation that you are already doing. I send my best wishes and moral support. It is always worrying when something seems off.

I hope someone else has an answer for you.

Ericksen814
10-14-2015, 10:14 PM
I have no advice at the moment other than the observation that you are already doing. I send my best wishes and moral support. It is always worrying when something seems off.

I hope someone else has an answer for you.
Thank you for your reply and kind words. I appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus
10-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Did you feed him a bigger mouse than normal? Is he eating frozen-thawed or live? Has anything changed in his environment?

Ericksen814
10-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Did you feed him a bigger mouse than normal? Is he eating frozen-thawed or live? Has anything changed in his environment?
Normal mouse, frozen pinkies, thawed. No changes to his environment.

hypnoctopus
10-15-2015, 12:25 AM
Well, I don't know what to tell you other than just to keep an eye on him without disturbing him. I hope he's okay!

Sort of unrelated, but unless he's really small for his age, he should be eating larger mice than pinkies.

Ericksen814
10-15-2015, 06:21 AM
He's actually not that big. I got him at a local shop and that's what they recommended feeding to him. How do I know when he's ready for something bigger?

sian.kelly
10-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Best way to know is weighing the snake and feeders. If you can't weigh him then see if the food leaves a bit of a 'lump' in his belly, if there's no lump, you should move him up a size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeppCorinder
10-18-2015, 05:45 PM
My guess, if he's acting strange and the position of the mouse inside him looks a little strange, is that it may have turned or went down a little wrong. It will most likely correct itself as the digestion process progresses. Keep an eye on him like the others have said. I wouldn't be too worried unless he stops moving completely and his breathing looks labored or strange in anyway. At that point I would take him to the vet.
Best wishes and good luck!

MysticExotics
10-18-2015, 05:52 PM
If he is 2-3 years old, he should be eating adult sized mice.
Is he possibly 2-3 months old, and not years?

Can you post photos of him?

Ericksen814
10-18-2015, 06:26 PM
I was told he was 6 months old when I got him and that was winter/spring of 2013. I can try to get a pic of him later.

Karl_Mcknight
10-18-2015, 06:27 PM
I have to agree with Mystic. If he's 2 or 3 years old, a Pinkie is like an appetizer. A 2 or 3 year old Corn snake should be around 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 feet long and easily be eating Large Mice. Something does not seem right here.

Have you seen the munson chart? (It's posted on this forum, and it shows what to feed to various size snakes). But you have to weigh the snake 1st because the feeding chart goes by the weight of the snake.

Ericksen814
10-18-2015, 06:29 PM
He's around 2-2.5 ft long

Karl_Mcknight
10-18-2015, 06:34 PM
if he's 2.5 feet long, he should be eating hoppers or weanlings. (Just under an adult sized mouse. He should be eating mice of about 13 grams in weight.) If you're still feeding him pinkies he's probably starving to death.

Pinkies are what is fed to a hatchling snake.