PDA

View Full Version : Old Snake not eating

Old Snake not eating

jovanya
11-02-2015, 05:15 PM
I need some help please.
I have a corn snake called Emily she is now 19 years old. I have had her since she was a few months old. I have never had trouble with her eating or shedding. Last year she had a bad shed. I followed advice on here and since I have had no problems Until August this year. She stopped eating I thought she was due to shed so I left her and yes she did shed but it was a bad one. I helped her shed but she looked like she was going to shed again straight after. I decided to try to feed her with a mamout, she ate it. I was so pleased since then she has not ate and has had another bad shed. Tried her again with mice but no luck. She has lost so much weight. What can I do?

Ravenessa
11-03-2015, 12:43 AM
I am sorry for your snakey.. I would take her to the vet, maybe get an x ray, blood work done. If she has bad sheds it can be related to a disease. The worst part is that she may be old and system is starting to give but I am keeping fingers crossed but it's def time to take your girl to the vet.

Edited: I mixed their age up with ball pythons thinking they could get 30 years old, it seems like average age in captivity is 10 one documented to be 21.. I would take her to the vet and I keep my fingers crossed but it may be old age... <3 <3

jovanya
11-03-2015, 04:20 AM
Thank you Ravenessa. I think you are right. I have been looking for reptile vets in the area. I have found 1 26 miles away. I do think its old age. She has a lovely nature and will be very sad when she does go. If she is not eating will this cause her pain? Sorry I don't know. I never wanted a snake but she was bought for my son and after a few months the novelty wore off. I only know what I read. Once again thank you.

Zimmer
11-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I work in a vet clinic. We don't see reptiles, but I imagine certain things are the same regardless of species.....

If you are willing to do bloodwork it can reveal lots of things (organ failure, infection, anemia, etc.) and that might give you an idea of how far to go with her (and closure, if it becomes time to make hard decisions). If she is old and in some type of organ failure or system shutdown, the best thing you can do for her at this point is probably have her humanely euthanized.

If her exam and labs come back normal, maybe she's just having a harder time going into winter and just needs a little extra TLC at home?

If nothing else, remember that you clearly gave her a good life and a good home as she is nearing the end of her life expectancy and you are going to miss her regardless of when she passes. My hat's off to you for that, especially in the veterinary field I see SO MUCH "my pet needs a new home, we can't care for it because of 'X' silly reason". Pets are not commodities :(

Good luck with her.

daddio207
11-03-2015, 10:30 AM
First, I want to congratulate you for committing to taking care of Emily's life for 19 years. What a fantastic caretaker you are.
I can only speculate on whether it is painful or not going without food for so long. Here's what we do know. Snakes can go a long time without eating. Snakes are opportunistic eaters. They eat all they can knowing at times there will be nothing available to eat. It can be weeks or months. I have a house snake on a hunger strike that's gone on for over a year acting normal. My guess is their bodies are made to go without food for long periods with no discomfort.
I know from my own experience is towards the end of a long life snakes will stop eating, lose weight, have bad sheds and shed more frequently. At 19 years this is probably is what's going on.
I agree that a visit to a vet is a good idea. It could be parasites or probably organ failure due to old age but a good idea to get her checked out.
Lets hope for the best .....

Ravenessa
11-03-2015, 12:13 PM
<3 <3 just wanted to send some more love..

DollysMom
11-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Hugs. 19 years is a great long life for a corn snake. You have obviously done right by her. <3 <3. Sending best wishes to you and Emily.

jovanya
11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
I thank you all for the advice and lovely comments.
I will keep you informed. X

ghosthousecorns
11-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I have an old girl too that is a retired breeder. Mine goes on extended feeding strikes sometimes. She had some bad sheds this year too so I just keep a box of damp moss in there with her to help with that, I offer food every time I feed the others and she just eats when she wants to.
Is your old girls' overall condition OK? If she is looking skinny or seems lethargic or weak (unable to pull herself up onto a branch), I would take her to a vet. Other than that try to make her comfortable and maybe provide a damp place to curl upin and help with shedding issues. Snakes can shed several times in a row if they are healing from an injury.

jovanya
11-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I have an appointment at the vet next week. I will keep you informed.