PDA

View Full Version : My corn snake tried to strike my hand

My corn snake tried to strike my hand

Twice
11-12-2015, 12:39 PM
So I just fed my corn in a new container and when she was done eating I went to lift the container to take her back to her tank and she tried to bite my hand and bit herself instead. She followed my hand's movement through the container as if trying to strike at me again.

Could this be because of the new container might have trapped the smell of food in there more than the previous container causing her to think my hand was another mouse? Or the fact that she was fed in a new container overall?

If this extra piece of information helps... I also haven't fed her in a longer than normal time period since I have an upcoming trip and no one else in my home is capable of feeding her while I was gone.

Nanci
11-12-2015, 01:43 PM
She's just still in feeding mode. You can either let her sit in her container longer, or not actually pick her up, just tip her out of the container into her viv.

jagodzinski
11-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I feed in a seperate tub and after she finishes squiggling down the food, I let her settle down for about 5 minutes. Then I very carefully return her to her home, being careful not to interrupt her too much to avoid being struck at or causing a regurge.

Karl_Mcknight
11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
I feed Rufus in a separate tub and I usually wait about 2 hours before putting him back into his regular housing. Let him settle down a bit.

Many Corn snakes will eat several mice if given the chance. Your snake probably thought you were about to give him another one.

No big deal. If you haven't been bit yet, at some point you will. Although Rufus has never bitten anyone, "yet", I have been bitten by other snakes in the past.

crosbybeast12
11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
I leave mine for 10 minutes after a feed to settle and instead of putting hand in let them come out and place them in the viv

more on twitter @skythegsd

ballpythoncrazy
11-13-2015, 06:46 PM
I just feed mine in their tanks because 1.) it's stressful for a snake to be moved to a new place for feeding and 2.) so I don't get bit when moving my snake to/from a feeding container because the snake is still in hunting mode.
(And no, my snakes aren't anymore "aggressive" because I feed them in their tanks and no, they don't eat the substrate)

Zombiegirl
12-06-2015, 02:32 PM
My lavender does this every time regardless...he *really* likes his food...

mishima25
12-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Mine has never biten me. Yet. I just give him 1 or 2 mins so he pushes the mouse all the way down, and then carefully ìck him up and place him in front of his warm hide for him to slither.
While in the feeding container he eagerly follows my hand, yes, and is very alert on other movements, but no attacks. In case it may help (really not sure it does), since a baby I have always lightly stroked his back once or twice after feeding while still in the feeding container. I even let him smell my hand and he just turns away. Then I pick him and put him back on the viv.