PDA

View Full Version : Tape never again!!!

Tape never again!!!

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 07:03 AM
Can I ask everyone a question? I'm kinda freaking out!! I went to take the cover off of Bella's viv and she was up on the little ledge there on the top.....now on the corners of the screen cover I have a piece of tape because there was a small gap that worried me....needless to say Bella moved just right and part of her got stuck to the tape, it was horrible I had to try to pull her off trying not to hurt her and clearly some of her scales stayed on the tape!!! I can't clearly see any real damage but you can look at the tape and see it so is there anything I should do or put on her? I'm sorry for the long message I'm just so worried I hurt her!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mishima25
11-16-2015, 08:55 AM
I have never dealt with this so my counsel might not be the best.
Inspect her very carefully. If it's only a few scales that have gone off I would only do a slight iodine liquid rub to disinfect just in case (the one you use for people). With successive sheds the scales should grow back. You should keep an eye to the injury until you see no sequels to detect infection as soon as possible should it occur.
If it's a more severe injury she may need a veterinarian lotion or something, and you'll have to visit the vet to get treatment.

The snake may be really stressed because of getting stuck and you unsticking her, so you should leave her for 1 or 2 days to relax and not feed her for these couple of days just in case.

She will be OK, don't worry. You describe it as a slight sticking.

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
Thank you I honestly can't even see on her that anything happened but I can see on the tape that there is like some white substance that I assume is at least part of a scale

DollysMom
11-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Thank you I honestly can't even see on her that anything happened but I can see on the tape that there is like some white substance that I assume is at least part of a scale

Maybe it's skin. Hugs and all my best.

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Thank you your so awesome!!!

DollysMom
11-16-2015, 04:06 PM
I had a doh moment as I did a little research. In snakes, skin and scales are the same thing really. They are all part of what is called skin. But there are layers and I think from what your describe it is the very outer layer that you see a little bit of on the tape. So the meaning on my part is the same. This sounds very superficial.

I've also done some research by googling this issue and it seems that because you are unable to see anything, any minor damage should be gone with the next shed.

It was about time I learned more about this important anatomy. Happy to learn more, but certainly not happy that your baby got stuck.

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm looking for another way to cover those corners I mean it's quite a gap these screen covers never fit quite right!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/16/c5e1d90a22d6410201c69ce328ee1090.jpg

This is what I'm talking about!!

DollysMom
11-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Here is what I did for the same lid:

http://i.imgur.com/Xj3GoYnl.jpg

This is closed cell weather stripping. Is is approximately 1/2 in wide by 1/4 in thick. I cut 1.5 inch pieces and then cut them lengthwise to fit the ledge. I rubbed off the adhesive with my thumb and cleaned any stickiness with isopropyl alcohol. I then hot glued them in the tank ledge corners. My corn Cleo goes right around them and doesn't try to go into the corners when cruising the ledge.

I also have Zilla heavy duty non locking clips on each end of the viv and the lid is strapped down very tightly with two pieces of the Monoprice version of Velcro one wrap (.75 inch wide)

http://i.imgur.com/0REvL9gl.jpg

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 06:56 PM
That's a great idea and the pictures really helped me to understand what you meant thank you so much I'm gonna go get some tomorrow and do the same thing!! You should make a bunch and patent them lol

jp8899
11-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Cut the lip out, if the lip is gone they can't get up there. Use a utility knife and remove the lip.

nicolefowler2005
11-16-2015, 11:33 PM
It's super hard plastic!! I'm not that strong and I'm worried I won't be able to get it all out and leave sharp edges!! I would love to do that though cause then I wouldn't have to worry about it!

claire.chapman11
11-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Its okay. It happened to me too, with duct tape. Wrapped all the way around my ball pythons head. It was horrible but we just kept gently pouring small amounts of water and pulling gently until it came off eventually. I am so lucky he was okay. His scales went back to normal after a couple sheds too. He's a trooper.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

kdickens
11-17-2015, 02:51 AM
I cut a dowel rod and hot glued it to the top ledge to discourage hanging around up there. After they reach a certain size they find it uncomfortable and can't do it. My snake did it for a bit, as you can see, but can't do it now! (Pick a dowel rod that takes up as much room as possible and allows the screen top to still lie flush)

nicolefowler2005
11-17-2015, 06:41 AM
Good idea!!

nicolefowler2005
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Where can I find the Munson feeding plan and know it's legitimate?

DollysMom
11-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Where can I find the Munson feeding plan and know it's legitimate?

Here's a copy posted by the man himself

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=431295&postcount=2

nicolefowler2005
11-17-2015, 09:40 PM
Thank you so much you have been so extremely helpful I really appreciate it!!

nicolefowler2005
11-17-2015, 10:02 PM
So I'm a little worried I read on the post that she should have a lump for 24-48 hours after a feeding but Bella's is usually gone within a matter of hours!! Does this mean I am not feeding her enough? I don't have a scale yet I ordered one but it got back ordered and hasn't even been shipped yet! What should I do? Sorry for all the questions!!

DollysMom
11-17-2015, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't worry. Does she look rounded on the top and flat on the bottom like a loaf of bread in crossection, or does she look more like a triangle? If she's rounded on top (you should still see a little backbone ridge) that's normal.

If in doubt, it's probably better to underfeed just a little than to overfeed.

How often are you feeding and what size prey? How quickly is she swallowing it? I assume she's pooping regularly (that's if you can find it).

Just a word on the Munson plan. It is aggressive. Most of us use the longer interval between feedings and let our snakes get a few grams heavier before moving up in prey size. The plan is a guide, not an absolute. You will find it online with slight modifications to that effect.

If that scale is not in stock and won't be for a while, there are any number of other scales that will work. I use a scale I had originally bought to ship packages. It weighs in grams and does tare so it works for me. Maybe you can borrow a scale in the meantime.

We are going a bit off topic here. You may get more responses by starting a new thread on this subject. :licklips: