PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain

Weight gain

nicolefowler2005
12-11-2015, 06:05 PM
How much weight should my snakes gain in a month? I'm just wondering so I can monitor if I'm over or under feeding

Nicole

mishima25
12-11-2015, 06:27 PM
We can't tell. Each snake has its own rate. Just weigh and measure the snake and preys and adjust to the lighter Munson plan version.
I think they gain about 5-10% (I don't remember well) of what they eat. On pinks the snake will only grow a few grams per month, but when movet to fuzzies and then to hoppers the gain can be around 5-10gr per month.
On a general note, it's always better to feed a bit smaller than make a very big prey jump.

nicolefowler2005
12-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Ok thank you I just didn't want to make my snakes fat cause they are both pigs and would probably eat every other day if I let them....of course I wouldn't they are both on small fuzzies every 5 days right now

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-11-2015, 09:34 PM
most will grow fairly fast at first and taper off as they age. But every snake is different.

Mine added 9 inches in length and literally doubled in weight the first 3 months I had him.

He's now slowing down a bit, and he's approaching 1 year old

nicolefowler2005
12-11-2015, 10:34 PM
At what age are they considered full grown? Do they typically get to be about 4 feet?

Nicole

mishima25
12-12-2015, 03:14 AM
They are considered full grown at about 2-3 years. In fact, 3 years (and 300gr) is what's considered best to start breeding a female.
About size, again, it depends. That's just the average. Naga is 1 yr and 3 months and is more or less 2ft 7in, and I think he's of the smaller ones.

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 06:51 AM
4 feet would be average. The biggest corn on record was slightly over 6 feet. The longest lived corn on record was 23 years. They typically live about 8 years in the wild (or less) because of predators, so they actually live longer in captivity, and since snakes continue to grow over their lifetime, the longer they live, the bigger they get. However the bulk of their growth is usually in the first 2 or 3 years.

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Was the biggest corn on record wild or captive?

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 11:13 AM
it was a pet. His name was "Slither" and he has since passed away. (Video of Slither below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUy9bboo2CM

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Wow he was is a big boy!

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 07:56 PM
yeah I think the coolest part of the video is toward the end where he crawls out of the box and heads straight for his owner, and as the owner backs away, the snake continues towards him. It could have crawled the other way, but it went to him. More "proof" that snakes bond with their owners and enjoy their company.

and below is yet another video of the dearly departed "Slither"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOnhEnOeRXM

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Do you know how old he was when he passed? It must be so hard to loose a snake you have had for 10-15 years!! It was so hard for me when I lost my boa that someone stole and I only had him for 3 years and was totally devastated

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 08:27 PM
I think he was about 9 yrs. He got sick, not sure what it was

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 08:31 PM
The last video won't work

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 08:35 PM
hmmm, that's weird. It works for me. I just tried it again, worked fine

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Well maybe it's my phone then!! My rescue, the Tessera I just got went down in weight since I got her

Nicole

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Whoops sent it too soon...so I don't need to be too worried about her going down 2 grams since I got her? I have fed her once but I fed her about half of what she should have gotten because she was still settling in and I didn't want her to regurgitate

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-12-2015, 09:14 PM
that's nothing to worry about unless she's losing a lot.

The breeder could have kept her in different conditions than you are, or the feeding cycle could be different, or it could have even been a "Big Poop." I know that sounds funny, but when you weigh a snake, you're weighing the poop inside him as well.

My snake Rufus goes up and down in weight too and he's almost a year old. He's in shed right now and has not eaten in almost 3 weeks. So I'm sure he weighs less right now than he did last time I weighed him, but it's the "Overall Trend" that is important. As long as the snake is eating, pooping, active, and gaining weight over the long run, then there's nothing to worry about.

nicolefowler2005
12-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Well she's actually a rescue and the terrible owners that had her before me said that she was lost in their house for a month before I took her and before that they were feeding her chicken and had no heat source whatsoever for her! Since she was "missing" for a month I had no idea how long it had been since she had eaten or drank so I gave her a couple days but then fed her a small pinky and she devoured it super quick, I didn't want her to regurgitate so I just left it at one small pinky and will wait 5-6 days before giving her more! She was 26g 2 days after getting her and I just weighed her again a week later and she's 24g

Nicole

Karl_Mcknight
12-13-2015, 05:46 AM
at 24 grams she's almost ready for small fuzzies, (6 gram weight mice).

Personally after hearing her story, I think I'd feed her double pinkies (double pinkies are ok for snakes up to 24 grams) for several more feedings and continue to watch her weight. If she starts gaining then switch her over to small fuzzies as soon as possible.

nicolefowler2005
12-16-2015, 08:54 PM
So the day after writing this post I found a "huge poop" in the corner of her tank so I'm guessing that's were the weight went lol. I am taking your advice and keeping her on double pinkies for a few more feedings and then depending on her weight I will switch to fuzzies!! I don't know what I would do without this Forum honestly I have learned so much and always get great feedback on every question I ask!!

Nicole