PDA

View Full Version : First reptile show!

First reptile show!

Flygning
08-27-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm going to my first reptile show this weekend in Tucson. I don't know how big it is, but the flyer says "bigger than last year" so that's a good sign. Do sellers tend to raise the prices for animals at shows? I want a charcoal hatchling, but the place I buy from around here have them priced at $75. I know breeders have cheaper prices, but then you also have to factor in shipping if there isn't one nearby. So, I was hoping to get a better deal at the show. Also, is anyone around here going to the Tucson show? I know it probable isn't a major one, but its worth a shot! Can't wait! :santa:

Matt.B
08-27-2004, 05:15 PM
usually I find better deals at the shows but make sure its CB and not CH or WC. Just something to look out for.

Flygning
08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
By CH, do you mean captive hatched? Is there a specific problem with that, or is it just to help reduce them being taken out of their natural habitat?

Flygning
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Oh, and the website says that Bill and Kathy Love will be there. :-D

Matt.B
08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
CH is captive hatched and yes that is the reason

Skye
08-27-2004, 06:29 PM
It can't be that small a show if Kathy is going to be there. I just met her for the first time at Daytona. I bought my most brilliant okeetees from Kathy.
Have lots of fun at the show and tell us if you buy anything,

Edmund
08-27-2004, 07:20 PM
Speaking of shows...
Skye, are you counting down the days till the K.C. show?
I've been making ceramic coffee mugs that have snakes in the design (usually as the handle) to sell there. I'm drinking out of one right now!

CAV
08-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Do sellers tend to raise the prices for animals at shows? I want a charcoal hatchling, but the place I buy from around here have them priced at $75.

Show pricing is interesting. Pricing depend on time of year and competition at the show. If there are 12 vendors selling hatchling Snows, chances are the prices will reflect the excess supply.

Depending on the size of the show, it may be more difficult to find local breeders selling less common morphs. Most small vendors tend to stick with the big four: snows, amels, normals, and anerys.

Flygning
08-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Well, piffle. That doesn't sound too promising. I'll just have to spend more time looking :-P

CAV
08-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Everytime I go looking for something specific and it isn't at the show, I usually find something to buy anyway. :)

paulc
08-28-2004, 03:26 PM
Yeah as Cav says shows are not good for your bank balance.

Flygning
08-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Well, its a good thing I don't have that much money to spend in the first place! Do shows tend to have a way smaller selection the second day? I can't go until tomorow 'cause I have to work aaaaaall day today :-/

Matt.B
08-28-2004, 07:02 PM
I just came back from a show today and am 120 bux poorer lol. I bought an absolutely BEAUTIFULL male for my female jungle corn. Hes got pink and yellow like all albinos but he also has alot of orange and he actually has PURPLE!!!!! lol im so pleased oh and hes real calm to hasnt even shaken his tail yet.

CAV
08-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Do shows tend to have a way smaller selection the second day? I can't go until tomorow 'cause I have to work aaaaaall day today :-/

Obviously the choice picks are gone, but good deals can still be had.

hosstheman
08-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Yes The shows can be rough on the pocket I sold some corns at the last show in St Louis and ended up spending the same amount I made on a Borneo Blood Python.
So I guess I came out even.
Brian

Flygning
08-29-2004, 05:55 PM
So, I just came back from the show. I bought more than I had planned--I could only afford one critter, but I came home with 2. I only wanted a female charcoal so I could breed her with my male motley later on and get charcoal motleys. However, I found a male anery motley het for carmel that was way cheaper than I expected, and I got him. I don't like his colors much (too light), but I love his pattern. I also found a female charcoal with the darkest brown/black spots and the prettiest silver background, and I bought her. She's also het for amel. I got her from Mark Hazel; I've never heard of him, but apparently he's mentioned in The Corn Snake Manual. Interesting.

Since both snakes were cheaper than I had expected, I ended up getting 2 for the money that I was prepared to spend on one. I'm a true Norwegian--very thrifty :-D

I met Bill Love, but Kathy wasn't there because she had to snake-sit back in Florida. The show wasn't too terribly large, but there was just enough to have a good selection, and not enough to warrant me spending the rest of my college fund on snakes :-P I'm hoping to find a larger show that is closer to home, but I'll just leave my wallet at home ;)

Cindy
08-29-2004, 07:47 PM
welcome back to the madhouse 1 month ago you had none now 4 good herping mate x

Flygning
08-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Five, actually :-P But, I plan on capping my collection at that. I'm running outta room, and my roommates are starting to get a bit nervous. We outnumber them now ;)