PDA

View Full Version : What exactly constitutes a complete shed?

What exactly constitutes a complete shed?

spacetiger110
01-03-2016, 11:51 PM
So, I've seen many member say things along the lines of "A complete shed means proper husbandry." But what is a complete shed exactly?
Rocky recently shed for the first time since I've had him and I think it was complete except for the following things:
1. There was nothing that looked like the head. His head didn't have any bits stuck to it and looked just as bright and clean as the rest of him, but there was no head section on the shed skin.
2.The tip of the tail. I had to use Nancy's wash rag trick to get it off.

Humidity has always between 40 and 50 percent and trends were good. Am I reading too much into the term complete or am I doing something wrong?

Zimmer
01-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I think that would constitute complete as far as proper husbandry goes.... maybe not the tail tip needing help but I don't think that's uncommon. I think when they say "complete" they just mean "not shedding off in strips" like if you were to peel a bad sunburn and it just comes away in bits and flakes rather than one large piece...?
Maybe someone else more experienced could chime in and elaborate?

DollysMom
01-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Complete shed means all in one or possibly two large pieces with no shed left on the snake. The best sheds are all in one piece. Stuck shed is any shed left on the snake. However, as far as I know there is not some written, formal standard.

The times I've had stuck shed were when I had a light that dried out the viv too much; and I had a snake that went into shed during shipping as well as no humid hide in the viv. I also had a snake shed the day after I got it and it was one, beautiful piece so stress alone does not necessarily cause stuck shed.

Good husbandry improves the chances for complete sheds, but it doesn't guarantee them. There can be factors that are unseen or unknown. I take any stuck shed as a warning to review my husbandry and examine the snake for any possible problems like injury or mites. Good husbandry also means helping the snake complete the shed, just like you did.

During the winter, even though my house humidity never drops below 40%, I provide a humid hide in each viv 24/7 and my snakes use it. I figure they know what they need. I believe it improves the chances of a complete shed and it certainly allows the snake to make itself comfortable.

Now that I've given you my definition, you may get other slightly differing information. So goes snake keeping :)