PDA

View Full Version : What exactly constitutes a complete shed?

What exactly constitutes a complete shed?

spacetiger110
01-03-2016, 11:58 PM
So, I've seen many member say things along the lines of "A complete shed means proper husbandry." But what is a complete shed exactly?
Rocky recently shed for the first time since I've had him and I think it was complete except for the following things:
1. There was nothing that looked like the head. His head didn't have any bits stuck to it and looked just as bright and clean as the rest of him, but there was no head section on the shed skin.
2.The tip of the tail. I had to use Nancy's wash rag trick to get it off.

Humidity has always between 40 and 50 percent and trends were good. Am I reading too much into the term complete or am I doing something wrong?

jessmarie
01-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Very rarely do I get a shed that isn't complete. Head, eyes, tail tip...all attached. That being said, a tail tip stuck or a head piece that came off separate isn't a concern of husbandry. That just happens and it could be anything. They may have just torn it while shedding and had to restart. Unfortunately, it's hard to restart the tail tip.
Incomplete sheds that should concern you are the ones that come off in several pieces...or the ones that only partially come off.

spacetiger110
01-04-2016, 02:01 AM
[QUOTE=spacetiger110;1702938]and trends were good./QUOTE]

*temps

Athena_Cornsnake
01-04-2016, 08:23 AM
As far as I know, I complete shed is simply when all of the old skin comes away and there are no remaining flakes, eye caps, ect.

daddio207
01-04-2016, 10:28 AM
The head piece might be stuck on something in the Viv. Snakes will rub their faces on objects to break the skin from the head and sometimes that where it ends up stuck on something.
A complete shed is head, body and tail sections but the most important thing to look for is the eye scales.