PDA

View Full Version : Food Jump?

Food Jump?

kdickens
01-06-2016, 03:37 PM
I've been feeding Loopy one 'small' pinkie every 5 days. Now he's up to 15 grams and I thought I'd up his food a bit. The feeding plan I'm using says at 16 g. feed 2 regular pinkies. :eek: I thought that a bit strange ... jumping from 1 small pinkie to 2 reg. pinkies. So today, for the first time, I fed Loopy one reg. pinkie (3 g.) and watched closely. He had no trouble getting it down. But I thought maybe I'll see what others had to say before over feeding him! It just seemed like too big of a jump that quick.

Dragonling
01-06-2016, 04:36 PM
I went to double smalls at 16g, and double large somewhere around 25g. He's 29g now eating a 2-3g reptilink and small pink (as long as I have to chain feed) about every 4-5 days.

Karl_Mcknight
01-06-2016, 05:58 PM
when they're small like that you could feed 1 pinky every 4 days or 2 every 6 days. Even though he's now at 16 grams, that's just at the point of going to doubles, so if you do go doubles I'd stick with small ones until he gains 4 or 5 more grams weight.

You'll notice on the Munson plan it gives a weight range for the snake, and a weight range for the feed. I take it as though it's all relative. I begin at the low end of the range and as the snake grows, so does his feed.

I guess some people will just take a Pinky or a Hopper (whatever) and not even think about its weight. But i actually weigh the mice I feed. For example, right now I have several mice in the 15 to 22 gram range. I am currently feeding Rufus 18 gram mice. So I have to weigh them and pick out the ones i want to use. I'll go to 20 gram mice soon but he still needs to gain a little more weight.

kdickens
01-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks to both of you for your input! I guess you have to use a little common sense along with experience. I'd rather give him a reg. and a small pinkie over 2 reg. size pinks after just switching from 1 small pinkie. But for now I'll see how the 1 reg. pinkie works out! He's definitely not starving.