PDA

View Full Version : Eating problem

Eating problem

Snake101
01-10-2016, 03:56 PM
I've had my snake just 2and a half weeks now, in this full time he has not eaten. He last ate 21/12. I have been keeping record of his weight and this hasn't changed (77g) he spends a lot of time hiding away either in his hide or buried but when he is up and when he is out to get weighed he is very active and explores his full cage. He also spends a lot of time at the door of the cage trying to get out. He has a hide at the hot end (normally about 29oC) and another in the cooler end (normally about 24) one third of the cage has a heat mat below it that is contolled by a thermostat. He has been drinking well and he has pooped every week (currently quite watery but I've read this can be normal especially when he hasn't eaten anything).

Does it sound as if he is getting ready to shed? I have no idea when his last shed was as the store could not tell me. But there are no signs by looking at him.

And am I doing the right thing by continuing to offer him a fuzzy every week? I tried braiding a fuzzy last week and it seemed to make no difference,I also tried placing him in a small tub with the fuzzy and leaving him in a dark room for a few hours today and this made no difference either-he seemed to be asleep when I went back to check in him. I have also been leaving the uneaten fuzzies in his cage overnight and lifting them away in the morning.

sian.kelly
01-11-2016, 05:17 AM
If they are going into shed, you will notice that they look 'dull' in colour - my corn has black belly checkers so I usually notice these turning more of a blue colour. It is harder to see on lighter coloured snakes though. They also tend to hide a lot, no out and exploring the tank, when they are about to shed.
I'd say skip a feeding in case he's about to shed, even if he doesn't shed, the next time you go to feed him he'll be hungry and hopefully ready to eat. Do you dangle the mouse in front of your snake and let him strike? My corn likes to 'kill' his mice so if you've not tried that that might help.
Other than that, I'd just go through all the 'get snakes to eat' things on the forum, there's loads about it.
Also, it is winter, so he might of just gone off food for the time being but I don't have a lot of experience with, just something to maybe think about.

Hope he starts eating soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl_Mcknight
01-11-2016, 06:01 AM
The shedding process can be a tricky thing. From start to finish it can last over a month. And sometimes a snake will not eat during the process.

My snake has shed 4 times since I've had him, and on 2 of those sheds he ate on his regular schedule, and on 2 of them he ate absolutely nothing. In fact on one of them, (the shed before the last) he didn't eat a thing for almost 5 weeks.

Most people are aware that the eyes get cloudy before a shed so that is what they look for. But the eyes going cloudy is actually at the tail end of the shed. The process actually starts weeks before and a lot of snake's behaviors will change. This is how I know when my snake is about to shed.

First- you'll notice them hiding more than usual. Their skin my look dull and could even look rough. They may stop eating altogether. Eventually the eyes will cloud over, and several days later the eyes will clear up. The actual shed will come after this point, usually within 2 or 3 days, but again it can be tricky.

The process has a direct correlation to your tank temps, humidity, handling practices, and the stresses the snake is under. For example, if you take your snake out and play with him every day, this can actually make the shed time take longer. Once they enter "Shed Mode" it's best to just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

daddio207
01-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Whether it is shedding or Semi-brumating due to time of year just keep in mind that a 77g snake can go months without eating with no ill effects. It's not time to panic time yet. :)
Let's see if he sheds this week and go from there..