PDA

View Full Version : Concern or Overthinking

Concern or Overthinking

reptilelover
01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Hello,

Okay first of all I do not have a corn snake yet, but am currently looking and inquiring with some on the forum here. I have a tendency to over think or over concern myself about stuff that hasn't happen yet(being truthful here). Okay with that said I have been doing some research on some health issues such as prolapses that can occur. I was wondering how common that is and if it is more common is a male or female. Also, I am not interested in breeding my snake, I just want it as a pet. If anyone also has any insight as to if it is best to get a young snake or one that someone has brought up and is older. Would an older snake adjust better or a younger snake? Sorry just doing some more research before making the final step in ownership. Any comments are welcome

MysticExotics
01-15-2016, 12:01 PM
There are pros and cons to starting with both adults and babies. Babies can get stressed and stop eating, although if you give them time to settle in, and your husbandry is correct, that is not too common. With adults you don't always know exactly how old they are, and you might not have as much time with them as you would starting with a baby.
With a baby, you can watch them progress into an adult. The color transformations can be really fun to watch.

Set up your enclosure before you get your snake, regardless of baby or adult. Make sure your temps are correct.

Prolapse is not common in Cornsnakes. It does happen occasionally with females when laying eggs (or slugs-infertile eggs), but not that common.

reptilelover
01-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks you MysticExotics for your response. I guess it's just a matter of finding a snake that I like baby or adult :D

cornsnakeaurora
01-15-2016, 10:04 PM
I researched corns before I got Aurora. My best friend had a corn so I got a lot of info from her. But I still knew so little. I've had her for two weeks and keep learning. Her feeding was what I was most concerned about. I now have the Munson chart and know she'll eat frozen thawed thank god. I learned that you need to crowd their tank so I bought a couple more things. You'll just keep learning as you go.

My friends husband mentioned when she gets full grown she may try to eat my cat. I freaked and was quickly told that's ridiculous. My cat would kill the snake before my snake could hurt her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl_Mcknight
01-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Younger snakes are harder to care for in my opinion than an older snake. And I don't necessarily mean a full grown adult, but certainly a snake 6 months to a year old that has already shed several times, eaten many times, and been used to human handling is going to fare better than a new hatchling that maybe won't eat, or that you know nothing about.

You can search the forum and find many stories about people finding baby snakes, and many of them end up dead because of health issues, feeding problems...etc....

A lot of this is due to the Owner of the snake not providing the proper care, but sometimes you can do all the right things and the baby snake just never has a chance.

I've had 5 pet snakes over the years and none of them I got as "Babies." None of them were full grown either. I had a Red Tail Boa Constrictor that was about 6 months old when I got her. She was in excellent health, had no issues, was very sweet and tolerant of people handling her and so I took her home with me. I had her 22 years. I'm told that's a very long time for a Boa.

The snake I have right now is almost 1 year old (next month). I've had him about 8 months. He was about 3-1/2 months old when I got him. He was already used to being handled by people, he was a proven eater (some snakes just won't eat), he had several successful sheds, and no health issues.

I just think it's best to get a snake that's already off to a good start than to rush out and find a cute tiny baby snake. Sadly, they are the one's that end up with the issues.

cornsnakeaurora
01-15-2016, 11:28 PM
It's like a puppy. You want to get a puppy so they grow to know you, get accustomed to you and learn its ways and habits from you. Baby corns are more susceptible to being handled in any way because they don't know what it's like to be handled any different. You can choose and they'll accept. My baby has a good appetite so far but has not shed yet. She's coming close. She seems healthy and is growing. I also handle her a couple times a day so she can get used to me and my smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reptilelover
01-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Thank you Karl and cornsnakeaurora for your response. At this time I am leaning toward a corn that isn't a baby but is still young (4months and up) and who knows maybe a special older one that is a sweet one. I will continue to search here on the forum for what I am looking for, Or PM me if you have something yourself or know of anyone.

DollysMom
01-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Since most babies are hatched in the summer and early fall this is a great time to look for a 2015 youngster. Most of them are still under 7 months old but beyond the new hatchling stage. You can also ask prey size. A snake on fuzzies through hoppers is a great size to start out with if you don't want a hatchling.

Any snake will need gentle, short/limited handling at first. They are sensitive that way. So don't expect even an older youngster to be relaxed at first. They can be, but don't be upset if your new snake requires some patience. You both need time to get to know each other. Each one has its own unique personality regardless of age. One great thing about corns is that they are full of personality!

Best wishes. I can't wait to hear what you get.

reptilelover
01-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks Dollysmom. I will be on the look over for my new snake, especially on the forum.