PDA

View Full Version : Progression thread: Aurora

Progression thread: Aurora

cornsnakeaurora
01-16-2016, 09:08 PM
So everyone else is doing it haha :)

this is the pic I took of her last night. Yes she has food in her belly. I was told once she gets older not to handle her for 24 hours after she's eaten.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160117/692bbd371a38f2fa0d018294e017b355.jpg

She's grown since I got her two weeks ago.

I ordered a gram scale on Amazon along with another hide and some plants for her tank. So I'll know how much she weighs on Tuesday.

She's now taking two frozen thawed pinkies every 6 days. Success!!! No live mice!!!

My cat loves to stare at her cage but has become bored of her when I take her out.

So I'm told she will shed soon... I'm so new to this but learning more about corns and her I'm starting to love her. I used to have a severe phobia of snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornsnakeaurora
01-16-2016, 09:10 PM
Is there more to her breed name than just an Amel corn?

cornsnakeaurora
01-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Got the gram scale today and she's 16 grams.

The gram scale is so small it won't last long. I didn't realize it when I ordered on Amazon.

Any recommendations on good gram scales?

kdickens
01-20-2016, 11:42 AM
This is the one I got. Seems to work pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1453307970&sr=1-2&keywords=pro+digital+kitchen+scale
hopefully this link works when you click it! Last weigh in with my little guy he was 16 g.

cornsnakeaurora
01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Thanks!

darrolldavis37
01-20-2016, 02:08 PM
It's something i need to get for my snakes because my snake is almost about a year and are eating small mice and she's always looking for more food after. she eats. any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

cornsnakeaurora
01-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Google the Munson scale, the newest version, to see when you should upgrade your snake to bigger mice. It's based on how many grams your snake weighs. Mine is 16 grams so eating two pinkies every 6 days. Then you move up to small fuzzies, regular fuzzies, hoppers and then weanlings. Go to Amazon for gram scales.

darrolldavis37
01-20-2016, 02:39 PM
thank you very much will look that up tonight

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

DollysMom
01-20-2016, 07:27 PM
She's lovely. Amel is it as far as I can tell from your picture. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics as she grows!

The general rule is not to handle any snake for 48 hours after feeding. I often wait more like three days just to be on the safe side. The younger the snake, the more prone it is to regurge. It is much better to avoid regurges. They are very hard on the snake. I don't know who told you 24 hours when she is older, but that is not the generally accepted practice.

I use two scales-- a little one for weighing mice and a larger one for weighing snakes.

cornsnakeaurora
01-20-2016, 09:24 PM
The herpetologist told me that. I just fed her and she took one picky. Yeah I'm a day early but she was acting hungry and searching. But she wouldn't take the second. Should I just wait another 6 days?

DollysMom
01-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Yes, if she wouldn't take the second pinkie just wait and feed her normally in 6 days. Throw out the pinkie she didn't take. We all waste a mouse now and again. It's just not worth the risk in trying to save it.

I wish I knew why the herpetologist would say 24 hours is okay for handling after feeding. I'm guessing there is more to it that I don't know.

cornsnakeaurora
01-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Okay I already threw it out.

I don't know honestly. I'm always hearing conflicting things. Some say they handle after feedings too.

DollysMom
01-21-2016, 09:01 PM
There's always going to be some conflicting info. Been there. Best wishes.

cornsnakeaurora
01-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Omg I just went to get her and realized I never took the second pinky out. I swore I did.

Well her scales are dull and her eyes are getting cloudy. So I'm guessing first shed is coming.

cornsnakeaurora
01-28-2016, 09:17 AM
So with much regret I have decided to give Aurora back to the pet store. They will take her and they take amazing care of their reptiles.

I don't think I can care for her the way she deserves to be cared for. I haven't handled her in four days and have no desire to.

I believe she served her purpose in my life. She got me over my snake phobia and calmed my anxiety.

I believe she's also making me and my cat very sick. This could be from lack of hand washing but I don't want this to keep happening to us.

She deserves a better home.

Dragonling
01-28-2016, 10:16 AM
I believe she's also making me and my cat very sick. This could be from lack of hand washing but I don't want this to keep happening to us.

Then...wash your hands? :nope:

cornsnakeaurora
01-28-2016, 10:52 AM
I do wash my hands. She's gone now it doesn't matter anymore.

cornsnakeaurora
01-28-2016, 10:53 AM
And if you're going to make me feel bad about it seriously go screw. I've been crying all morning it's not like this was easy.

kdickens
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
cornsnakeaurora

Sorry to hear about you snake experiences. Don't be down on yourself though. Keeping a snake isn't for everyone. Just like keeping a lizard (I don't have one!)
But for you to at least try is something most people wouldn't think of doing. Especially with you fear of snakes ... but now you've overcome that to some degree ... congrats for that! I'm glad you were able to take Aurora back to the pet store, I'm sure everything will be ok! So just keep your chin up, you'll be fine!

cornsnakeaurora
01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Thank you. I can't even handle how horrible I feel. I did overcome and I tried. I just hope they take care of her and find her a good home like the owner promised me. I've been there many times and held many pythons etc. and they all seem extremely healthy and happy.

I think my cat will miss staring at her tank the most.

Kalista
01-28-2016, 01:01 PM
And if you're going to make me feel bad about it seriously go screw. I've been crying all morning it's not like this was easy.

It's a very hard decision to give up a companion animal, no matter the circumstances that surround it. Hopefully Aurora will find a new family to love her soon.

cornsnakeaurora
01-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks. That's another thing I don't feel like she was a companion. My cat is my companion, my partner in crime and dealing with stupid men lol. I hope she does too.

Kalista
01-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanks. That's another thing I don't feel like she was a companion. My cat is my companion, my partner in crime and dealing with stupid men lol. I hope she does too.

The use of that term is habitual for me more than anything - I worked in veterinary medicine for a few years. Animals are companion, working, or wild in my mind. ;)

Everyone's needs are different and it's okay to say that you and Aurora were not a good fit. Surrendering her is a better choice than neglect, always. I just wanted to show my support.