PDA

View Full Version : Dead Snake

Dead Snake

CarlosI210
01-18-2016, 03:24 PM
So recently I had decided to get my older corn a larger enclosure. I was at petco getting him some new stuff when I saw that they had some Amels for sale, I guess I was a little too eager to put a new baby in my snakes old vivarium, so without thinkin, I bought him right then and there and took him home. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed how frail and small he was and how his skin was shriveling up. I searched through all the forums (my older snake had not had any major health issues so dealing with an unhealthy snake was new to me) I could find and the general consensus for the shriveled skin was dehydration, so I soaked him every day and lightly misted him(I had also seen him drink from his water bowl so that made me feel a bit more secure). I tried feeding him three times but he only accepted food once. Nevertheless, his skin appeared to be looking better and he was growing a bit bigger. I left home Saturday night and returned home midday Sunday. I was going to try and feed him agin that day but instead I coiled up in a very weird position, his body was kinda twisty in an unnatural position. Naturally I feared the worst so I went in to pick him up, sure enough my little buddy was gone, in total I had him a week and a half, and I just wanted to know if something similar has happened to anyone else and if there's something more I could've done for him

Gusku
01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm really new to the snake business, and subsequently have no Idea what could have happened, but I just want to say I'm sorry, and sometimes, there are things wrong that they don't let us see until it is far to late. It sounds like you gave him a great chance. And I don't know if there was a way to be more dedicated to your snake. I hope someone on here can help you in diagnosing exactly what was wrong. Good Luck!

DollysMom
01-18-2016, 06:20 PM
I can't help, except to say that some babies just don't make it. I'm so sorry for your loss.

daddio207
01-18-2016, 11:54 PM
No matter what the reason he passed it was preexisting. It could of been dehydration but sounds more like a stuck shed. Even an incomplete shed cycle can be health related. It can be hard to notice an amel morph in their shed cycle.
You did your best. It happens more than we like to think it does especially with hatchlings.