PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

Feeding question

HoneyHawthorne
02-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Hullo all!
So my cornsnake Appa is about a year and a half now, 3.75 ft long, about 210 grams. Up until now he's been a very chill, easy going snake, and has tolerated all my newbie moves beyond any expectations (my first snake). I've been following the munsen plan (which some say is too aggressive feeding plan), but he always seems okay with it, every now and then I'd wait longer in between feeds, use a slightly smaller size, ease up a bit.
The past couple months he's really gained weight (not in length, not fat as there's no bulge at the bottom, just volume). We feed him adult mice (about 20 g) every 10 days, but at 7 he starts going nuts in his tank, like he's super hungry. I used to have a really easy time getting him out of the tank (to go to the feeder tank), but now he's too worked up to do so easily. He bit me today, a first for him. It wasn't went I went for him; I was holding just about all of him in my right hand/arm, gently unwrapping the decorative vine from the very tip of his tail, when he bit and squeezed my right hand, the hand holding him). I was thinking of moving him to feeding every 7/8 days when he starts going nuts just for a little bit incase he's hitting a growth spurt, but I am worried that's too aggressive.
Any advice?

DollysMom
02-27-2016, 11:50 PM
Hmmm. Young male snake, longer days, spring nearing... This may not be about food at all.

If he's at a healthy weight and growing at a healthy rate, do not feed more often.

Best wishes.

HoneyHawthorne
02-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Thank you!