PDA

View Full Version : breeding behaviour?

breeding behaviour?

nicky
04-03-2002, 09:33 PM
hello,
I was wonderingat what age or size are corns sexually what does breeding behaviour look like? Would my 5 month old corn be displaying any?
when would would it be safe to start breeding? Oh ok my parent's were wondering k i don't know why but like we were taking about herps and they asked how do turtles breed? With there shells and all? Just wondering cuz i dunno don't know if I wanna but they do so if anyone know could you tell me. thanx:cool:

Iris
04-04-2002, 01:56 AM
At 5 months, probably not. But of course I could be wrong. Could you be more specific in what kind of behavior he's exhibiting?
I think corns can breed anytime after reaching maturity. Of course I don't know exactly when a corn reaches maturity. Not too sure about signs of breeding behavior but in males, they often go off feed because they are desperate to find a mate. Females...well I guess ovulation would be a sign! If you can tell. Um..I think it said in the manual that if a female slithers across your fingers in a perpendicular direction and you feel little bumps, that's a sign of ovulation. But I don't exactly remember..where IS my manual anyway!?
A male can breed whenever he's interested. Age/size doesn't matter. But for females, it's best to wait until she's 3+ feet or 300 grams or more. Smaller, there is a greater risk of dystocia (egg binding) which roughly refers to when an egg gets stuck. A female could die from this so why risk it when waiting a year could avoid it? Well that's what most people say anyway. I think.
I'm not too experienced/knowledgeable about corn snakes (far less than some people here) so others can probably contribute a lot of other info.
About the turtles...why don't you ask on a turtle forum if you really want to know.
Hope I helped! I tried!

Warren
04-04-2002, 05:04 AM
Five months is young for breeding. IMHO, they are just active or perhaps hungry and looking for food.
As for turtles, well..... The Male mounts the female from behind and inserts his little thingy under her shell. He then will often lean back and grunt. I know it sounds funny but they really do this. (I'm not totally up on turtles so if anyone can shed a little more light on the subject...) It's even more funny to watch!

L8r,
wc

nicky
04-04-2002, 08:29 AM
well,
He wasn't acting to odd i just wanted to know wht it would look like if he ever started and so i could tell what age it would be safe to breed my little baby .If i do at least it wouldn't be untill a year or so just curious
thanx!

CornsnakeKeeper
04-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Safe to breed:
Females- 3 yrs. at least 30 inches long.
Males- 2 yrs. can be a bit shorter.

These are just recommendations to stay safe. If the female is too small, these eggs can become lodged and possibly kill the snake.

The male is less likely to have problems, but it is best to let him grow up first. A male corn of about a year could breed, but it would not be positive for his health.

Breeding snakes have shorter lifespans than those that don't.
I highly doubt any was displayed, probably just searching for food or something.

BTW, a turtle will mount the famale from behind putting their tails together. My male turtle tries to mate with my female all of the time, until she bites him in his face. Hehe..:D poor little guy...

csmith1626
04-04-2002, 04:38 PM
HI I READ THAT IT WAS BEST TOWAIT UNTIL THE SNAKE WAS 3 YEARS OLD.