PDA

View Full Version : Gypsy isn't eating

Gypsy isn't eating

DLena
03-09-2016, 06:37 AM
I don't know if I have a problem yet. Gypsy is just over 4 feet and weighs in at 965 grams. She arrived 2/25. BA told me she was fed a F/T mouse once a week. Since she was out and about, laying waste to my fine decorations (that's another thread in a different area), I offered her a mouse on 2/28, which she totally refused...actually slid herself back into the warm hide. On 3/2 she again refused a F/T mouse, recoiled from it, gave me a long look and cruised away. On 3/7, my son and I both accidentally prepped a fuzzy for Ayasha, and since 2 is too many for her, I offered it to Gypsy, who was in a 27 gallon tote while I was redoing her viv. I though maybe it would get her appetite going, and maybe she was used to being fed in a separate location. Nope, even though I left it in there with her. In all instances, I have tried a "here it is" presentation, which is all Ayasha ever needs, then the wiggle it around, "LOOK! It's alive! presentation. The second mouse and the fuzzy were also left with her for a little while and I left her alone. She did go to the bathroom on 3/7 in the tote. Often in the morning I find her out of her hide, partially or completely, so that's when I offered the 2nd mouse. The first mouse was in the evening, which is when I feed Ayasha, and the fuzzy was in the afternoon in the tote. There is no indication of an impending shed (no clue when she shed last) and she is easy to hold. She cruises around in my hands or on my desk while I grade papers. No indication of discomfort or snappishness. Thoughts:crying:

Nanci
03-09-2016, 08:47 AM
I would wait one or two weeks from the last time you offered, then give her a hot, dry mouse, in a small feeding container, and cover it up, and leave her alone, no peaking, for an hour.

DLena
03-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Okay. She should be okay to wait another week, right? That will make it over 3 weeks since she ate. Should I have 2 mice for her? She very big, over 2 pounds.

daddio207
03-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Your snake could go months without eating with NO ill effects.
Follow Nanci's advice.

No worries ! :)

DLena
03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
It's much harder to deal with when its your own baby, even a big baby.

daddio207
03-09-2016, 12:37 PM
I hear ya!

We tend to humanize our pets and to think they could go weeks or even months without eating when we can barely go a day without feeling hunger pains is hard to except. I can tell you from a few decades of experience and 100's of snakes that they can :)
One of the main reasons newly purchased snakes don't eat is they are not given enough time to settle in. We see it over and over in posts. There is nothing so far to indicate that there is something to be concerned of.

It's great that you are so caring about Gypsy. Give her time and I'm sure she will start eating.
Again follow Nanci's advice and NO worries :)

Oh and 1 mouse is fine..........

Nanci
03-10-2016, 08:36 AM
She doesn't need two mice. And first you need her to eat one mouse! But- she's 965 grams- she knows how to eat mice. She would need to lose 20-25% of her weight to even start to be in any danger. It _might_ help to get her out and active and burning calories and generating hunger. I presume she's pretty used to handling and may have changed homes one or more times in her life, so she probably won't be too upset to eat, if handled.

DLena
03-10-2016, 09:40 AM
You're right, she must have been around a bit because she is extremely laid back and companionable. She'll curl around my arm and hang out while I grade papers, water plants, dust... She explores the papers on my desk and hangs around for tv, too. I'll have her snake around more, instead of just hang. Thanks people!

DLena
03-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Gypsy FINALLY ate...21 gram mouse. Put paper towel liner in a tote, put in the ft mouse, then Gypsy. Covered it with a dark sheet, and an hour and a half later, checked on her... All gone and Gypsy was cruising around. I am so relieved! Thank you for the great advice, Nanci, and all the support, everyone. I love this forum!