PDA

View Full Version : Constipated snake?

Constipated snake?

zowezaally
03-16-2016, 04:09 PM
I've had my new corn snake for about 2 and 1/2 weeks and fed him twice I haven't found any poop yet but as of the past 3 days he coiled up in his cool hide and hasn't come out as far as I can tell (I'm up late at night) he used to be very active. I know snakes might hold it in when they start to shed but I never saw him go through the blue eye phase or any color dullness. His temps are right and he hasn't regurgitated so is he just constipated? Me and my poor little bud needs some help.

Karl_Mcknight
03-16-2016, 05:36 PM
I've had my new corn snake for about 2 and 1/2 weeks and fed him twice I haven't found any poop yet ....... that doesn't mean ther's no poop. It means you've not found any.

.....but as of the past 3 days he coiled up in his cool hide and hasn't come out as far as I can tell (I'm up late at night) he used to be very active........... so if he's staying coiled up in his cool hide what does that tell you? Maybe the warm hide is too hot?

..... I know snakes might hold it in when they start to shed but I never saw him go through the blue eye phase or any color dullness........ it's easy to miss them going blue. We've all done that.

..... His temps are right and he hasn't regurgitated so is he just constipated? Me and my poor little bud needs some help..... Are you sure the temps are right? How do you know? Just out of curiosity what is the temp in the warm hide and what is the temp in the cool hide?

Nanci
03-16-2016, 06:24 PM
You can easily tell (in the future) if your snake is blue or not, by weight. If you always weigh before you feed, you'll quickly catch a much larger than normal weight gain, which tells you that the snake has not pooped, which tells you the snake has been inactive, which tells you the snake is blue.

zowezaally
03-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Yeah his warm hide is about 81 and cool is around 72 degrees Fahrenheit. From what responses I've received people say he's most likely going into the shed cycle.

Karl_Mcknight
03-16-2016, 07:43 PM
actually 81 is a bit cool. Just a bit. Corn snakes can have digestive problems if temps are not right. For digestive purposes a corn snake does best between 82 and 88. (Most of us opt for a middle ground of about 85).

I hope he's about to shed. But it would not hurt to bump the temp up 3 or 4 degrees.

zowezaally
03-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Ok I'll get it to close as 85ish as I can the only concern is for some reason outside the hide its about a degree or two warmer even though both are right above the UTH. Thanks!

zowezaally
03-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Actually its about 6 degrees warmer outside of the hide which i cannot make sense out of...