PDA

View Full Version : Crust forming in water bowl?

Crust forming in water bowl?

Timmeh___
04-20-2016, 06:32 PM
This is a rather odd post, but i just noticed how my water bowl has some sort of crusting. I usually fill the bowl near to the top, and where the water line is, below it it looks brighter, while the upper portion where no water contact is made is darker. The area in the bowl where the water makes contact with the bowl has a thin layer of like a jelly consistency when its wet but is more like sand when i wipe it off with a towel when the water bowl is dry. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them? Or maybe its just the cheap water dish corroding because I've had it for a little over a year. Unfortunately i can't provide pictures due to my new computer not having an sd card reader....

Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks! -Tim

jagodzinski
04-20-2016, 07:55 PM
How often do you change the water and how do you clean the bowl? Based on the sand description I might guess it is urates, or that your snake is using the bathroom in the bowl. For now, maybe change to a temporary tupperware bowl (just be careful as its easy for your snake to tip it over) until you figure out exactly what the problem is.

Karl_Mcknight
04-20-2016, 09:16 PM
actually if you have "Hard Water" in your area (most people do) is probably Lime Deposits. The product known as "CLR" will clean it nicely.

DollysMom
04-20-2016, 11:02 PM
I was thinking minerals, too. I'd use vinegar to clean it, then rinse well. Do you wash the bowl each time you fill it? That's the best practice.

Timmeh___
04-24-2016, 10:18 PM
Yes I wash it when I re fill it. I usually refill it at least once a day. I actually decided to upgrade my water bowl anyways; I picked out one that is a different type of plastic and it has a hide built under it.

DollysMom
04-24-2016, 10:47 PM
That sounds great. Hope it doesn't crust up on you!

Nanci
04-25-2016, 06:13 AM
That's from hard water. It makes the bowls look dirty, and harbors bacteria. You can clean it with vinegar (filling the bowl and letting it sit) or CLR, which is actually considered environmentally friendly, I recently learned. I scrub with an antibacterial soap.