PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing after Attempted Handling.

Burrowing after Attempted Handling.

cinnabunbun
04-29-2016, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong but I'd like some pointers on how am doing this. OR I just need to give him more time.

Levi's feeding day is tomorrow (Friday) and I want to to try to bring him to his feeding container without him freaking out and burrowing under his aspen. When I'm up and about, he likes to stare at me, but when I get near him or spot check his home/change water, his head slightly coils or he tries to run away. It's been almost a week since I got him, so I'm not sure if I should leave him alone completely for another week, I was able to get him to eat on Sunday with little problems. I'm more or less afraid that I'm still causing him stress, even with just routine clean up.

What I've been doing is tapping the side of his tub gently to let him know I'm spot checking, and tap his midsection to notify him of me. He has yet to bite me, but I'm trying to swallow my fears because I read their bite shouldn't be bad.

Thanks for reading!

mishima25
04-29-2016, 03:27 AM
If it's a baby it's pretty normal he's burrowing in fear. You can leave him be for a few more days, but you'll eventually have to pick him up to feed him or for handling. If when you're not near he comes out and even stares at you it's a sign he's quite acclimated already.
The tapping in the glass can help you both. With time, he'll relax and he won't care you doing that, or even he may react and come out to see you/get out/get fed.

Just do the daily chores without bothering him and he'll grow accustomed. Same with picking him up. He'll struggle, flee, hide or burrow for several months but in the end he'll realise you're not gonna eat him and will calm down with time. At about 1 year old most tame down considerably. Just treat him gently and you'll have a best friend snake :P

Naga used to do this, and now he roams and asks to take him out during daytime and even sleeps out in the open. He doesn't care any more having me cleaning or checking the viv. Never bit me once.

Good luck!

axis1
04-29-2016, 07:49 AM
When I had 3 new hatchlings last summer, the biggest challenge I had with them is getting them to eat. 2 of 3 actually perished from NOT eating, sadly. From what I experienced and read on this site and the web, that's probably the highest hurdle to get over when they are that young. In your case, Levi probably just needs some adjustment time. You are obviously enthusiastic and that's all part of the joy of being a snake owner! But they have their own time-frames, especially when it comes to adjustment periods. From what I've read, your posts all seem to indicate you are a loving and caring corn snake owner. I'm sure that everything will fall into place for the both of you in time!

Good luck in setting up Levi's new crib!

BTW, you might wanna wait until he's settled into his new housing before you feed him. Just a thought (and my humble opinion!).

cinnabunbun
04-29-2016, 09:01 AM
I'm going to move him into his tank on Monday after he eats today. He's a rather enthusiastic eating. I'm also gone for most of the day as of recent if that plays in part.

I did manage to take him out for a little. He was fidgety at first then he started sniffing me all over. Any who more time is needed. I'm just not sure if that also means no spot cleaning. I noticed he hasn't pooped yet from Sunday's feeding. Should I wait for that before feeding him today?

DollysMom
04-29-2016, 09:04 AM
With a baby I've fed the first 2 or 3 times in a deli cup or on a lid or paper towel in the viv to both minimize stress and substrate ingestion. So don't even try to move him all the way to a bin, but do go ahead and feed him. Nearly a week is definitely long enough to wait.

DollysMom
04-29-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm going to move him into his tank on Monday after he eats today. He's a rather enthusiastic eating. I'm also gone for most of the day as of recent if that plays in part.

I did manage to take him out for a little. He was fidgety at first then he started sniffing me all over. Any who more time is needed. I'm just not sure if that also means no spot cleaning. I noticed he hasn't pooped yet from Sunday's feeding. Should I wait for that before feeding him today?

I'm confused a bit now. I thought this was going to be his first feeding.

Okay, if he eats good, accept that and keep doing what you are doing.

You can return him to his viv as soon as the food is all the way down as far as it will go.

Do spot clean and pick up poop, change water, etc. Do not disturb him in a hide while doing so, especially while he is digesting.

Do relax and stop stressing. They need a secure enclosure. Clean safe substrate and water. Appropriate hides and temperatures. Appropriate food. Air free of perfumes, sprays and insecticides. A calm and confident owner.

cinnabunbun
04-29-2016, 03:43 PM
It's his second feeding, sorry for the confusion. But yeah I'll try my best to be confident and patient.

cinnabunbun
04-29-2016, 04:07 PM
I just fed him, he's understanding that once he's in the bin, he knows food is coming. Once his food went down 1/3 of his body, I slowly put the bin in his enclosure for him to crawl out when he's ready. Though right now he's staring at me, anticipating more food. I gave him a warmed 2g pinkie for his 11g weight.

DollysMom
04-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Sounds perfect to me. Congrats and well done!