PDA

View Full Version : Possible mild RI?

Possible mild RI?

mishima25
04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
It's happened. I think Naga may have early synthoms of an RI. Need some advice until I go to the vet next week.
Since the heat season he's been very active and burrowed a lot, so he managed to get things into his nostrils and I heard him puff quite often. I also saw small aspen bits sticking out of his nostrils, which I took with tweezers.
About several weeks ago he continued doing the puff, but he also started kind of coughing. (I have to say current aspen bag, which I used in the last cleaning, was a bit dusty, so I replaced a part that had a lot of dust with new aspen). I read in many places dust is irritant and can cause mild RI, and that although aspen is changed, it still can take some days for this to disappear, so I waited and checked.
This situation has continued until now, but this week I have heard a gurgle in him a few times, and cough continues although more scarce. I have noticed he tries to rub his nose as if to take something out, but I've checked him almost daily and his nostrils are clean. I haven't noticed bubbles or mucus in mouth nor nostrils, either, and his gums are pink. No swelling in head or neck. Seems a healthy mouth.
He's been active and eating (fed Wednesday), but today he didn't even come out. He's been in his hot cave all day except for a while he was on hot side but out in the open. I noticed him slightly opening his mouth and doing overly weird jaw movements until he yawned.
On Sunday I'll replace all the aspen with a new bag that's not dusty, vacuum the viv very well and ditch the small spare amount from the dusty bag.

I know mild RI can be treated or paliated by bumping temps a few degrees.
I have an ON/OFF thermostat. If I bump it to 31ºC it'll probably reach 32ºC but also go down to 30,5ºC. Is this OK?
I also have a night drop of 2º. I'll make it the same temps as daytime temps for now.
Also, for how many days should this be done?

Tomorrow I'll try and reach the vet to schedule a visit for next week ASAP. This are just temporary measures, since I see he's not improving much. I know it doesn't seem pretty bad, but I'm so worried...

Karl_Mcknight
04-29-2016, 05:30 PM
yeah those temps will be ok. But don't wait too long to see the vet if it continues. Early treatment can make the difference in 1 visit and 1 shot, and many visits , many shots, and complications.

mishima25
04-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Thank you Karl. This is just because I will not be able to see a vet this weekend. But ASAP next week I'm going for sure.