PDA

View Full Version : HOUDINI....

HOUDINI....

snakemanone
07-06-2002, 01:28 PM
I just purchased a factory built viv measuring 48 x18x18 inches complete with heat mat,lamp and chippings and paid nearly 100 pound for the complete set up,i needed this because i had just bought a pair of samolian milk snakes about six month old(14 to 16 inches long)after placing the above mentioned into their new home i left them 24 hours and returned to feed them and yes you guessed it "GONE" there are no holes for them to exit the doors were locked, i dont understand it THERE IS NO WAY OUT but they are gone.

A VERY P***** OF HERP.............STEVE

AKA SNAKEMANONE.:confused:

SilverTongue
07-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Check any vent holes, maybe they are a lil to big. If a snake can get its nose through then it can get its whole body through.

Check the baseboards. Follow them around the room.
Check in or near anything that might have lots of warmth or moisture.
Look around what do you see that you think would make a good hide.
Check any piles of clothes.
Dont forget to check things up high.
If you cant find them you can get a mouse (or whatever size rodent) just make sure it is thawed. Lay in a crumpled paper sack or soda bottle. Put this along a baseboard.
Try connecting a heatingpad and putting it along the baseboards. (where you can watch it) Same with a dish of water.

I hope some of this helps. If it doesnt then do a search in the forums for lost snake. I am sure this one or someone elses has a bunch of ideas.

Good luck hun.

reaper
07-07-2002, 06:03 AM
hi look under the chippings as they might have buried themselfs. i had the same problem with my snow corn thats where i found him good luck

Fiend
07-07-2002, 07:40 AM
I had the same problem as well mine was once hiding under the chippings as well.

Also i use to have a water bowl with a slight cavity on the underside, my corn managed to some how coils itself up in under there.

My Honduran Milksnakes tired to hide where ever he could they are very shy snakes.. He is so much better since we made him a hide.

Good luck with the hunt, hope you find them

snakemanone
07-07-2002, 12:18 PM
THANKS ALL.

The only holes in the vents are about 2mm diam and as the milks were at least 10mm diam i think it very unlikely they could escape that way, have checked under chippings and light fittings everywhere, thanks for your replies, i will just have to put it down to experience and learn from it,they were kept outside in a shed so they are long gone by now,thanks again all of you.

A SORRY BUT WISER HERP............STEVE.

AKA................SNAKEMANONE.

SilverTongue
07-07-2002, 01:32 PM
Very sorry to hear that. :(

CornCrazy
07-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Since your snakes were in a shed...could someone have stolen them? I am curious about one thing...aren't milk snakes carnivorous? I thought they couldn't be housed together.

Fiend
07-07-2002, 03:35 PM
This is true, I keep my milk on his own and my cali king on his own as well..

But sadly if this has happened , you still have at least 1 milk unaccounted for.

When I purchased our milk and our cali we was advised on both accounts to house them alone..

There is alway hope... We had a six month old corn who escaped for over six months , he was housed in our home and found 6 months later 2 houses away in a friends garden sunning himself..

Expect the unexpected.........;)

CornCrazy
07-07-2002, 07:10 PM
I agree that there is hope. My snow corn was adopted after escaping her previous owner's house. She was missing for 6 months, also. She was found outside basking in the backyard! That's why the previous owner put her up for adoption...her house had been thrown out because she was missing for so long. They thought they'd never see her again! Good luck and I hope they are found!

Missymonkey
07-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Maybe they were snake-napped?!:eek:

snakemanone
07-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Hiya all.

Again thanks for all your suport,they had been housed together since hatching and never had any probs,my shed is like fort knox so theft is out of the question, one was seen yesterday (tuesday) but by the time i got there it was well gone, so you never know.

hopefull herp...........................steve.

Fiend
07-11-2002, 04:19 AM
Still keepin me fingers crossed for ya Steve,

Even if you find only 1 of them, it is better than nothing at all...:)

Jimmy C.
07-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Hey Steve,
Sorry about your loss. Dont give up hope. I am sure they are near by hiding under something warm and dark. If someone saw them once they can see them again.
Jimmy C. I would post notices around the block

rastasheep
05-02-2003, 06:07 AM
one of my snakes managed to squeeze him self between were the doors overlap, mi got two glass sliding doors, and u know where they overlap when they are close. he squeezed himself through there. but luckily i found himhiding under my bed. hope u find them! its sad init, wondering what they r getting upto.:(