PDA

View Full Version : Snake injuried, what should I do?

Snake injuried, what should I do?

scouser
09-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Monday night when I checked on my snakes and changed their water, I noticed Mr. Slithers was not in his cage. I searched his hides, in the bedding and the lip of the cage, he was not to be found. I keep a CD player on top of his cage so he cannot push himself out. I could not figure how he could have possibly gotten out. I do not remember if he was in his cage Sunday when I changed the water. So he could have only been out for several hours or for over a day.

Luckily I only had to search for 1/2 hour and I found him. But when I found him he had some scratches on him where my cats had played with him and scratched him with their claws. The scratches are very superficial and should disappear with his next shed. But as I gave him a quick once over, I noticed a spot close to his vent where a couple scales where missing and dried blood (scab) on it. I don't know if this was caused by a scratch, a bite from a cat, or an injury trying to get out of his cage and into the cabinet where I found him.

Now for the question. Because a couple scales are missing I am wondering if there is anything I should do for the spot other than keeping it clean. I do not know of any reptile vets in this area. Should I apply antibacterial ointment? Wait to see if it improves after a couple of sheds? I have not messed with it since Monday night, he was already stressed and I did not want to stress him out anymore. Should I wait a week or two before feeding him? His body condition is good.

By the way, I figured out that one of the cats must have lifted the corner of his cage and let him out. I have since put several new weights on the lid so that could not happen again.

CAV
09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Get a good triple antibiotic ointment. Repeat for a week or until the wound is healing over.