PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory infection in black rat snake.

Respiratory infection in black rat snake.

sdavis2
07-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I recently took in a rescued black rat snake. He's currently about 4 feet and had clearly not been taken care of. Has scars from some of the worst nose rubs I've ever seen. It's also come to my attention that he appears to have a respiratory infection. I have 2 questions for you.

1- Has anyone ever used the f-10 or whatever home method to treat an RI in their snake and is it recommended?

2- Has anyone ever taken a snake with RI to the vet for treatment and about how much did it cost you? Of course if it's needed I will pay up to help the poor guy. I do take care of all my animals with 100% care.

Karl_Mcknight
07-09-2016, 03:33 PM
I had a boa with an RI many years ago. The vet fee was about 70 bucks best I can recall. He administered a shot of antibiotics to my boa, and told me to take her home, raise her cage temps a few degrees, and to monitor her to see if she got any worse. She was fine after about a week.

Like I said though, this was many years ago. I'm sure the vet fees are a bit higher by now.

axis1
07-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I recently took in a rescued black rat snake. He's currently about 4 feet and had clearly not been taken care of. Has scars from some of the worst nose rubs I've ever seen. It's also come to my attention that he appears to have a respiratory infection. I have 2 questions for you.

1- Has anyone ever used the f-10 or whatever home method to treat an RI in their snake and is it recommended?

2- Has anyone ever taken a snake with RI to the vet for treatment and about how much did it cost you? Of course if it's needed I will pay up to help the poor guy. I do take care of all my animals with 100% care.

I would really be careful about home remedies and be sure you research anything thoroughly before using it! When I thought one of my snakes had an RI, I looked it up in Rossi's book, "What's Wrong With My Snake?" (Of course I did that after posting the issue here and after almost having a heart attack because I was more nervous than a hooker in a cathedral!!). From reading a chapter on respiratory infections, I learned that one should do a thorough check of the snake's environment and its owner's husbandry skills.

In my case, my snake had impacted powdery substrate into her nostrils from excessive burrowing related to looking for a place to lay her eggs. While she had some symptoms which appeared like those resulting from an RTI, they were the result of environmental issues. Once my snake shed, her nostrils cleared out and she stopped making a clicking sound and puffing up her throat like she had a cold or was acting like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist!"

That being said, I would check the temperature variance in the tank, check the level of humidity, ensure there are no drafts near her enclosure (especially if you have a mesh or screen cage rather than a glass tank), make sure the substrate is dry and appropriate for snakes, also ensure all hides, logs, vines, etc., don't have any irritants that could affect your snake.

While I probably didn't mention ALL environmental & husbandry checkpoints, I'm sure you get the idea!

Check it out and keep us updated!!!

sdavis2
07-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Will do thanks for the responses!!!! Yeah I got him from a guy a few days ago who rescued him from someone who clearly didn't take care of him. He's uncomfortable being handled but not at all mean. He has some scarring on the nose either from really bad nose rubbing or burning from a poorly placed light is my guess. I'll get him nice and healthy though!

DLena
07-09-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm glad he's with you now. Please keep us updated.

axis1
07-10-2016, 01:58 AM
Will do thanks for the responses!!!! Yeah I got him from a guy a few days ago who rescued him from someone who clearly didn't take care of him. He's uncomfortable being handled but not at all mean. He has some scarring on the nose either from really bad nose rubbing or burning from a poorly placed light is my guess. I'll get him nice and healthy though!

Well, you DEFINITELY sound like the RIGHT person for that snake! You sound like a classy person, and I'd even go so far as to theorize that you put on a vest just to take a leak!!!

Thanx a bunch for being there for a little sneaky one who couldn't defend himself from one of the many a**holes who unfortunately populate FAR too much of this planet! You are a decent human being and an exception to the rule!!!

axis1
07-10-2016, 12:50 PM
. . . I'll get him nice and healthy though!

BTW, just wondering: What symptoms does your snake have that makes you believe that he has a respiratory infection in the first place?

Just curious, as when I was looking for that info, I didn't notice it in any of your posts. Also curious as what "F-10" is, though it's not as important.

sdavis2
07-10-2016, 01:43 PM
He's "wheezing", open mouth breathing, saliva stretching from upper to lower jaw when mouth is open and his throat seemed slightly swollen yesterday but has gone down as of this morning. F-10 is a disinfectant that some vaporize and let their snake breath in. Is supposed to help with minor RI. Some use Vicks vapor rub as well. Although I feel as if this poor guys is bad enough for a vet visit.

axis1
07-10-2016, 03:10 PM
He's "wheezing", open mouth breathing, saliva stretching from upper to lower jaw when mouth is open and his throat seemed slightly swollen yesterday but has gone down as of this morning. F-10 is a disinfectant that some vaporize and let their snake breath in. Is supposed to help with minor RI. Some use Vicks vapor rub as well. Although I feel as if this poor guys is bad enough for a vet visit.

A vet visit is ABSOLUTELY indicated!!

Please DON'T try anything with Vic's Vaporub (outside of rubbing it on your chest for treatment of HUMAN symptoms or unless you had something kinkier in mind with another adult who consents to it, of course!!!). There are a lotta whacko DIY treatments floating around on the net and though I was tempted to try the one with the vaporub when I thought my Lilly had an RTI, I bounced it off of people here on this very forum who told me I'd be one can short of a sixpack to try something like that! (Have to admit that while there ARE folks here that would testify to the fact that I do have a FULL ONE, I MIGHT not have the plastic thing that holds it all together!!!).

Please take that poor snake to a reptile vet as soon as you can (though it sounds like that's what you were leaning towards in the first place!).

Again, just really glad that someone who cares owns that poor snake now, as he's been through MORE than one animal should have to go through!!!! Thanx for caring!!!

sdavis2
07-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Thank you for the warning!!! Yes I will get him to a vet ASAP I have located a well reviewed office and plan on contacting them tomorrow morning. I also want to get his nose scarring looked at so vet visit it is! I'll make it my number one goal to get him 100% healthy. Lol we're all obviously corn fans here but the eastern black is my favorite of the rat snakes so he already is special to me. NOT THAT ALL MY BABIES ARENT SPECIAL haha. They're just the type of snake I get to catch and handle most while herping and I've found some absolute monsters(as far as American snakes goes lol).

axis1
07-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the warning!!! Yes I will get him to a vet ASAP I have located a well reviewed office and plan on contacting them tomorrow morning. I also want to get his nose scarring looked at so vet visit it is! I'll make it my number one goal to get him 100% healthy. Lol we're all obviously corn fans here but the eastern black is my favorite of the rat snakes so he already is special to me. NOT THAT ALL MY BABIES ARENT SPECIAL haha. They're just the type of snake I get to catch and handle most while herping and I've found some absolute monsters(as far as American snakes goes lol).

Rat snakes ARE kinda like corns, as I do believe the corn is a sub-species of the rat snake. But speaking for myself, a snake is a snake is a snake! I just love 'em ALL!

But when one is a pet, then it becomes like family!!!

Please keep us updated!!!

sdavis2
07-10-2016, 07:16 PM
You are correct in that a corn is a form of rat snake! The black rat is just MUCH bigger typically. Calling vet in the morning I'll keep everyone posted!

sdavis2
07-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Called as soon as vet opened today but they were booked, so Jett will be seeing them at 130 tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

sdavis2
07-12-2016, 03:01 PM
So Jett went in today, Doctor says Jett has a minor respiratory infection but that we definitely caught it early enough!!! Got 7 rounds of antibiotic shots every three days so it will be a road to recovery. After the last shot we'll go back in for a check up. Best part of the visit? Jett is actually a she!!

DollysMom
07-12-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm so glad Jett is on the mend. She's lucky to have such an attentive person!

axis1
07-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Like a midget at a urinal, you are ON YOUR TOES!!!

That is awesome that you caught that early enough!!! Nice going!!! You are one classy individual!! (I'd wager that you even get outta the shower to take a leak!!!)

In any case, I really hope that Jett recovers 100%!! Really good move!! I hope that you and HER have long and fulfilling life together!!!!!

sdavis2
07-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Thank you both!! I'll post some pics when she's all healed and feeling 100%. Hopefully her face heals well now that she can't rub on anything.

sdavis2
07-12-2016, 08:50 PM
And hopefully her feeling of stress making her rub subsides. Doc said it's probably a combo of not feeling well and obviously not being taken care of before. She's in a good home now though!

sdavis2
07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Axis I haven't told you but I love your wordings!! Lol "like a midget at a urinal"

sdavis2
07-25-2016, 06:29 PM
So she has taken 5 of her 7 shots, definitely seeing an improvement. She just had a nice shed but left a bit of skin on her nose where it was damaged. Nose is also looking much better as she's stopped the rubbing.

DLena
07-25-2016, 06:33 PM
I'm very happy for you both!

sdavis2
07-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm very happy for you both!

Thank you very much! Once she's completely over it all I'll post some pics. She's beautiful.

DollysMom
07-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Glad she is on the mend and I'm looking forward to the pics!

sdavis2
07-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Thank you DollysMom! Kind words from everyone! Love this forum best one around.