PDA

View Full Version : Sexual dimorphism in getting too freakin' fat?

Sexual dimorphism in getting too freakin' fat?

wretchedprocess
07-14-2016, 04:34 AM
...Probably not. But still.

I've been having a bit of a rough time lately, and my beloved slitherbugs have maybe not been getting out enough. They are maybe, in some cases, gaining a bit more weight than would be ideal. I am working on reversing this trend. One of them is tongue-flicking at me from beneath my blanket as I type. But I have noticed that some of them are getting normal hips, and some have a couple of bilaterally symmetrical bumps, two up on each side from the tail. The first pair look like normal, albeit smallish, hips, but there's a bit of an indentation, and then there's another bulge right above.

I may have been slightly disingenuous with the title of the thread-- both of the double-bump kids are male, but both of them are also orange (one is a hypo bloodred and the other is an amel). Both of them have jack-o'lantern water bowls, and the others don't. There are plenty of random similarities among any two of the lot. My sample size is small-- I currently have five corns. So the sex is potentially as meaningless as the colour or the bowls or whatever. And the double-bump-hip guys are separated in my stack by one normal-hips girl and a little scrawn who never seems to really bulk up, and I've had all the snakes in my house for at least 2 1/2 years. So... what's that about? They all seem totally healthy. It really seems like a fat distribution thing. Why are a couple of them doing it differently? Is that a thing? Since two of them have the same issue and it seems entirely natural and innocuous, I question the value of taking them to the vet. They *feel* like fatty deposits. But is there something going on besides that?

Thoughts?

axis1
07-14-2016, 05:55 AM
...Probably not. But still.

I've been having a bit of a rough time lately, and my beloved slitherbugs have maybe not been getting out enough. They are maybe, in some cases, gaining a bit more weight than would be ideal. I am working on reversing this trend. One of them is tongue-flicking at me from beneath my blanket as I type. But I have noticed that some of them are getting normal hips, and some have a couple of bilaterally symmetrical bumps, two up on each side from the tail. The first pair look like normal, albeit smallish, hips, but there's a bit of an indentation, and then there's another bulge right above.

I may have been slightly disingenuous with the title of the thread-- both of the double-bump kids are male, but both of them are also orange (one is a hypo bloodred and the other is an amel). Both of them have jack-o'lantern water bowls, and the others don't. There are plenty of random similarities among any two of the lot. My sample size is small-- I currently have five corns. So the sex is potentially as meaningless as the colour or the bowls or whatever. And the double-bump-hip guys are separated in my stack by one normal-hips girl and a little scrawn who never seems to really bulk up, and I've had all the snakes in my house for at least 2 1/2 years. So... what's that about? They all seem totally healthy. It really seems like a fat distribution thing. Why are a couple of them doing it differently? Is that a thing? Since two of them have the same issue and it seems entirely natural and innocuous, I question the value of taking them to the vet. They *feel* like fatty deposits. But is there something going on besides that?

Thoughts?

Interesting description! Any pics? (Would definitely assist in forming requested "thoughts" and besides, I just LOVE pictures!). :crazy01:

Nanci
07-14-2016, 06:13 AM
I've never seen a male with "hips." I only have one snake that's a little poofy in that area, but definitely not solid hips, and she's been like that since she was a yearling! And! Her daughter has the same propensity. None of my other snakes have fat deposits. They are fed bi-weekly. Weekly up to 250-300 grams.