PDA

View Full Version : Advice? Scale rot or paranoid owner?

Advice? Scale rot or paranoid owner?

sherriclue
07-22-2016, 02:51 AM
Hi!

I noticed little black spots on my snake that seem to be between and under her scales. I know for a fact that they're not mites, as they do not move along her body and aren't found anywhere else in her cage (water bowl, etc).

The black spots are not everywhere, but start in her midsection and continue down to her tail. There are also some black dots on her underside (see picture link below). The only problem is --- I think some of these spots have been present since I bought my snake 4 years ago (purchased at 5mo from a breeder). But now they look like they're increasing and I'm not sure if I should be worried? I could just be paranoid and these spots are a normal part of her skin...

Below is a public link to some pictures I took.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38649114@N04/albums/72157671384466025

Should I be concerned and try to take her to the vet?

More details: I used to keep a moist hide in her cage but she hasn't had one in there for 6 months. Her cage humidity levels are generally never too high or low and she always has good sheds. I also try to keep her cage as clean as possible and don't think I've ever let it get filthy.

DLena
07-22-2016, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know. Hang in there, someone with more experience will be up shortly, I'm sure.

axis1
07-22-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know. Hang in there, someone with more experience will be up shortly, I'm sure.

Ditto! Can't be sure and have to preface this post with that statement, BUT, they LOOK like little scars from rubbing while attempting to shed when the cage is too dry. My Chili-Pepper has a couple of those but not as many and not so close together. Could also be a mutation of some form but if that's true, the fact that you noticed its presence for several years most likely means that it is harmless. However, as DLena pointed out, maybe someone who knows more definitively will be along.

Hang in there!!! :p

Dragonling
07-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Do you have a larger photo of your corn's face/eye? I strongly suspect your "butter" motley is in fact a topaz (lava caramel) motley. Amber is possible, but the black speckling is pretty typical for a topaz.

axis1
07-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Do you have a larger photo of your corn's face/eye? I strongly suspect your "butter" motley is in fact a topaz (lava caramel) motley. Amber is possible, but the black speckling is pretty typical for a topaz.

See what I mean sherriclue? :eek1:

(Did I say thanx Dragonling?!) Even though we're not there yet, you are probably one of the most experienced & highly qualified to clear this one up. Thanx for chiming in! :crazy01:

Dragonling
07-22-2016, 08:44 AM
See what I mean sherriclue? :eek1:

(Did I say thanx Dragonling?!) Even though we're not there yet, you are probably one of the most experienced & highly qualified to clear this one up. Thanx for chiming in! :crazy01:
Oddly, I haven't quite reached my first anniversary in herpetoculture (sometime mid-August I think?). I tend to go big when I get really into something, and snakes and reptiles in general have become a passion for me. I basically feel like I've found my calling. I appreciate the compliment though. :)

HerpsOfNM
07-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Melanin flecking...motley and caramel both seem to reduce blotch borders and these markings are the remnants of the black border.

This would not be visible in a butter (albino + caramel) as albinism, at least in corn, renders black and brown to white. In the medical field one could argue hypomelanistic is a form of albinism, but that's another day, another thread.

Most likely you have an amber (hypomelanistic + caramel) motley. As mentioned, you could have a topaz (lava + caramel) and you could possibly even have a honey (sunkissed + caramel) but both of these are still fairly expensive gene combinations (4 years ago you'd have been looking at a roughly $500-1000 corn for either a topaz or honey motley) and arguably a breeder wouldn't let such just slip through.

Check out Ian's Vivarium for these combinations, but again definitely not a butter. They have a morph guide over there that shows, usually, hatchling up to adult photos, as well as head shots.

Dragonling
07-22-2016, 10:57 AM
A pale gold dust is also possibile. If the eyes are greenish with mostly black pupils it could be either that or amber, but if the eyes have a ruby sheen in the pupil I would suspect lava is involved.

sherriclue
07-22-2016, 12:08 PM

Thank you for the help so far everyone! I paid 35 dollars for her from a breeder in brooklyn, so I also doubt she's an expensive morph.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38649114@N04/with/27857750133/
I have added a picture of her face and of her underside (she has 2 checkers on her belly, but no where else). Her eyes are black with a gold rim around them. I looked up pictures of topaz morphs, and that looks like her! They have the same black flecks.

HerpsOfNM
07-22-2016, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the help so far everyone! I paid 35 dollars for her from a breeder in brooklyn, so I also doubt she's an expensive morph.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38649114@N04/with/27857750133/
I have added a picture of her face and of her underside (she has 2 checkers on her belly, but no where else). Her eyes are black with a gold rim around them. I looked up pictures of topaz morphs, and that looks like her! They have the same black flecks.

Motley extremely reduces or completely removes belly checkering, as does a few other pattern mutations.

Honey (sunkissed + caramel), Amber (hypomelanistic + caramel), Gold Dust (caramel + heterozygous ultra + heterozygous albino), and Topaz (lava + caramel) will all have some variation of the faded black "tipping" seen in your snake. Though young hypos have a reddish or brown pupil, with age it generally fades and becomes blackened. Lavas tend to retain that reddish pupil, though it too does darken up (this is based upon photos and the 3 lavas I have in my collection). The ultra gene also does similar to the eyes. Ultra is linked to albinism, whereas hypo and lava are both forms of hypomelanism. Lava is sometimes called hypo C or hypo type C; I believe sunkissed is hypo type B. The redness of the pupil is due to reduced melanin presence within the eye, resulting in the blood vessels reflecting a reddened coloration. This same phenomenon is what causes albinos (sometimes called amelanistic since reptiles possess more than just the pigment melanin) to have "red eyes" due to albinism being the inability or lack of melanin production. Side tangent...some albino humans have a blue iris instead of having pink/red eyes. In cats, Siamese are a type of albinism and also possess blue eyes that reflect pink.

At $35, 4 years ago, you most likely have an amber motley given going market for non-motley topaz is around $75-100.

Dragonling
07-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Forgot about this post lol. Yeah the eyes definitely don't say lava. I agree that amber motley is most likely.

kickflare
07-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Got anymore pictures of the snake? If it was Scale rot, it would have spread more by now.

HerpsOfNM
07-29-2016, 12:50 AM
Got anymore pictures of the snake? If it was Scale rot, it would have spread more by now.

It's definitely not scale rot...

Pretty sure it's not lupus...

http://66.media.tumblr.com/4d40af90f9f2ad135cc428cb6cbaeffb/tumblr_n2d1k61lHH1rra86mo1_1280.jpg