PDA

View Full Version : regurgitation problem (a special case)

regurgitation problem (a special case)

canicemok
08-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Recently, I fed my corn snake hatchling a pinky. Because the pinky(3gram) was too big for my snake(6 gram), it regurgitated. I have read many articles about how to treat regurgitation. The right method is to wait for at least 10 days and feed 1/2 sized food to it. In my case, the food I need to offer will be a pinky head or half pinky. However, my corn snake hatchling only eats live pinky. Even when I cut the pinky into half and show all the blood and brain fluid, it just wont eat. So what should I do? Should I wait for a few more days and feed him a 1-2 gram live pinky? I am afraid his stomach acid cannot afford such a large pray in this moment. Thank you!

Dragonling
08-24-2016, 10:55 AM
If your baby corn is only 6g, you should see if it's possible to find some day old pinks. I don't know what part of Hong Kong you live in, but if you're anywhere near Prince Edward Station in Kowloon there is a decent shop called Urban Jungle Reptile at the corner of Tung Choi St. and Bute St., as well as Reptile Paradise about 4 shops down from there. There is at least one other pet shop on Tung Choi near the intersection at Nullah Rd. Maybe someone there can help?

canicemok
08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
If your baby corn is only 6g, you should see if it's possible to find some day old pinks. I don't know what part of Hong Kong you live in, but if you're anywhere near Prince Edward Station in Kowloon there is a decent shop called Urban Jungle Reptile at the corner of Tung Choi St. and Bute St., as well as Reptile Paradise about 4 shops down from there. There is at least one other pet shop on Tung Choi near the intersection at Nullah Rd. Maybe someone there can help?

Thank you very much. My first corn snake was actually bought in Urban Jungle Reptile and it is one of the few shops in Hong Kong which sells live pinky. I am also shocked that you know so much about HK reptile shops.
However, my concern is will a day old pinky be too big for a baby corn that has regurgitated before? I know a day old pinky is the smallest possible thing i can feed him right now since he won't eat frozen pinky. But, you know, if my baby corn regurgitates once more, he will probably die. Thank you.

daddio207
08-24-2016, 02:23 PM
New born mice that have not taken mothers milk are referred to as "reds" They will be the smallest. Maybe ask the store to put a "red" aside from the mother and call you to pick up.
It should be small enough for your snake whole. 1 to 1.5 grams.
BTW I doubt it is a live verses FT issue but if that is what it takes to eat for awhile then stick with it until it doubles in size then convert it to FT. :)

Dragonling
08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
If you can get ahold of NutriBac, it can help replenish the gut fauna. You just dust the pinky's rear end a bit with it for the next feeding or two.

I am also shocked that you know so much about HK reptile shops.

It's amazing what you can find online these days. Thanks to Google Earth and other such resources, I've taken virtual tours of many interesting cities across the pond. In this particular instance, I happened upon a thread on a Chinese reptile forum that mentioned those particular shops with several people recommending them. As daddio said, ask for reds or bloods as they're occasionally called. Perhaps you can have them call you whenever a new batch of pinkies is born.

oneill.wj
08-24-2016, 08:19 PM
I have read in all the research I have done and it said hatchling Corn snakes will eat baby lizards or tree frogs are those possible to try? I haven't tried it but I figured I would share this anyways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanci
08-25-2016, 06:18 AM
No- lizards have parasites, and if you start feeding them, it will be even more difficult to get your baby onto FT mice.

I'd go with the tiniest red you can get. After a few meals of those, get a frozen red, and try the "boiled" method. You boil water, pour it over the frozen red/pink, and serve it right away, in a TINY feeding container. I've had VERY good luck with boiled for picky starters. It's my favorite feeding trick.

canicemok
08-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Thank you all! Good news is my baby corn ate a warm frozen pinky yesterday and after 12 hours he didn't regurgitate. Hope he will be alright from now on.

Giga
08-26-2016, 02:22 AM
Good to hear :)

axis1
08-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Thank you all! Good news is my baby corn ate a warm frozen pinky yesterday and after 12 hours he didn't regurgitate. Hope he will be alright from now on.

That's just HEAVY, FAR-OUT, & RIGHT-ON!!

So glad your little sneaky one has sucked down a pinky without hurling it later on!! Hope it comes out the OTHER end, the right way, of course!!!

oneill.wj
08-26-2016, 04:37 PM
That's great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DollysMom
08-26-2016, 06:03 PM
I'm so happy. That's great news!