PDA

View Full Version : Wounded snake not swallowing pinky - week 2

Wounded snake not swallowing pinky - week 2

Bahamut Calls
09-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Here (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144154) is the post I am referencing.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow, but I want to hear other ideas too. I still cannot get her to eat as she won't/can't swallow it past the wounded area. I have freeze dried crickets and super worms for my bearded dragon... are those something she can try to eat? She's only 2 months old, so I assume she really needs food...

axis1
09-15-2016, 02:40 AM
Here (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144154) is the post I am referencing.

I'm calling the vet tomorrow, but I want to hear other ideas too. I still cannot get her to eat as she won't/can't swallow it past the wounded area. I have freeze dried crickets and super worms for my bearded dragon... are those something she can try to eat? She's only 2 months old, so I assume she really needs food...

Hi Bahamut! Sorry to hear of your troubles and about your little sneaky one's inability to swallow or eat currently. However, a couple of weeks is NOT enough time to go into panic mode, so please take a chill pill. DON'T, under ANY circumstances, offer a cornsnake crickets or worms or ANYTHING else that isn't for a cornsnake. Although I am no expert, I can tell you that feeding it anything other than rodents or small lizards at that age can be fatal and the latter may contain parasites unless they're frozen for a long time and baby lizards are incredibly difficult to come by. I just fed 3 hatchling corns for the second time who all refused to eat for almost 2 months, so I can tell you that a couple of weeks is not a problem. If your snake isn't able to swallow by 3 or 4 weeks, THEN you should ask the vet about possibly pumping liquefied pinkies into it, unless, of course, you know how to do such a thing. I read that pumping pinkies into a snake is one way to keep a stubborn non-eater alive, though I have mixed feelings about keeping ANYTHING alive that is ABLE to eat and won't, but that's due to my own personal craziness.

I'll be saying a prayer for your little one! Feel better!

BLKfly
09-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Yes please do not worry or try to feed your snake... I just had our new hybrid regurge 2 pinkies, if you try to feed them to quickly they can die. Personally if one of my snakes regurgitates I wait at least 3 to 4 weeks before trying to feed them, and when I do I feed them a considerably smaller mouse as well or less. Good luck and be patient

Bahamut Calls
09-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much, both of you. :') I tend to worry too much over my pets... I'm glad she's not currently in any danger after a couple of weeks.

Also, I'm calling her "sneaky one" all the time now.

BLKfly
09-15-2016, 09:58 AM
No problem, at least you care about them. It sucks cause you just want to help, but its best to leave them be and heal up.