PDA

View Full Version : A black spot in the eye?!?

A black spot in the eye?!?

Bugce
09-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here but I was worried so I had to ask someone.

I have a baby corn snake (2 months old) and he has a black spot on the corner of his eye. I thought it was soil but it wouldn't go away. It's been there for 3 days now.

I'm open for suggestions. Should I take him to a vet? What do you think it is?

Dragonling
09-27-2016, 12:42 PM
It's a dense structure in the eye, possibly related to the ciliary body. It's completely normal and every year there are new posts about it. :P

(e) Apparently it might be a pupillary ruff. One of these days I'll get more eye photos. Here's a post I made about it in July: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1714360&postcount=15

hypnoctopus
09-27-2016, 01:13 PM
I agree with Dragonling. All of my light colored morphs have this spot.

Bugce
09-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks a lot! I was worried there for a sec but relieved now. I'll keep that in mind. Interesting though I've never heard of this before and couldn't find it in the internet

daddio207
09-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here but I was worried so I had to ask someone.

I have a baby corn snake (2 months old) and he has a black spot on the corner of his eye. I thought it was soil but it wouldn't go away. It's been there for 3 days now.

I'm open for suggestions. Should I take him to a vet? What do you think it is?

:welcome:

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

(Yeah, the black spot is perfectly normal. No worries.)

Dragonling
09-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Well I went to get some photos of my light-eyed corns and realized all of them have pretty much just eaten. I don't really want to get pooped all over today, so I'll wait a few days. I did get some blurry shots of my palmetto, but he has some unusual black pigment that almost seems to float above the iris (and I'll study this more later as well) which covers this exact edge on both eyes. I'll post those in his progression thread in a minute.

hypnoctopus
09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Here's an older picture of my butter stripe with his black spot. It's sort of hard to see, but if you look closely, you'll see it right by the pupil.

http://img02.deviantart.net/1b9a/i/2012/301/2/6/orville_2_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d5j9pav.jpg