PDA

View Full Version : My corn ate a small piece of substrate. Should I be worried?

My corn ate a small piece of substrate. Should I be worried?

gutterskump
10-13-2016, 07:07 PM
I dangled the fuzzy above her food bowl until she grabbed it, but when she constricted around it, she dragged it out of the food bowl and a few pieces of substrate stuck to the fuzzy. I was able to remove all of the substrate except for one small, stringy piece that she had constricted around. It didn't appear to be sharp. Should I be worried? What should I look out for?

I don't use a separate container for feeding because I was nervous about moving her between containers after eating, but I think I'm just going to get one to avoid this in the future. Sorry, this is my first snake and I've only had her for two weeks. It's all very new to me.

daddio207
10-13-2016, 07:35 PM
No worries !
I'm sure it will pass. I keep quite a variety of reptiles of which all have consumed a variety of substrates and all have either digested or passed the offensive material. Just keep an eye on her bowel movements just to verify she is staying regular..
:)

gutterskump
10-14-2016, 12:29 AM
No worries !
I'm sure it will pass. I keep quite a variety of reptiles of which all have consumed a variety of substrates and all have either digested or passed the offensive material. Just keep an eye on her bowel movements just to verify she is staying regular..
:)

Phew, that's a relief. Thank you!

Fletcher
10-16-2016, 07:38 PM
I was just about to make this post, as Phoenix just swallowed a pinky with a bit of substrate on it and I wasn't able to get it off...it was maybe a bit bigger than the one described here, but is it still probably okay? Is there anything in particular I should be watching for, other than lack of defecation?

gutterskump
10-18-2016, 11:28 AM
She pooped last night. Yay!

gutterskump
10-18-2016, 11:29 AM
I was just about to make this post, as Phoenix just swallowed a pinky with a bit of substrate on it and I wasn't able to get it off...it was maybe a bit bigger than the one described here, but is it still probably okay? Is there anything in particular I should be watching for, other than lack of defecation?

I'm a new snake owner, but from what I've read, you should look out for lack of defecation and bloating.

My corn ended up being okay. She pooped last night, 4.5 days after eating.

Fletcher
10-19-2016, 08:45 PM
And Phoenix pooped today, also about 4 days after eating, so now I feel a lot better haha. Definitely going to be more careful with this in the future, though, just in case.