PDA

View Full Version : Corn Lost a Tooth - Follow-Up?

Corn Lost a Tooth - Follow-Up?

Aozora
10-16-2016, 12:52 PM
So my caramel girl has an incredible feeding response all day every day. Today when I went to feed her, she rocketed out of the bin already biting. Problem was, my hand was the nearest thing, as I was still pulling the bin open. I was not expecting an adult corn snake to the hand, so I jerked my hand when she attacked me.

She found the mouse posthaste and vigorously wrapped and consumed it, but when I checked my fingers I was able to pull a tooth out of one of the wounds. What do I need to do to follow up with her and make sure she's okay? Do snakes regrow teeth like sharks?

DollysMom
10-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Yep. They grow and replace teeth throughout their lives. She should be fine.

Aozora
10-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Well, an hour after I posted this I dug another tooth out of my finger. So she broke/pulled 2 of her teeth (from a 1cm area of her mouth) at the same time. Do I need to check and see if it gets infected, or do I need to worry about it affecting her ability to eat?

DollysMom
10-16-2016, 05:00 PM
She should be fine, but it never hurts to keep an eye on things. Just be observant. You don't need to do anything special.

If she has trouble eating or is behaving abnormally with her mouth, consult a vet. If you already have a snake vet you work with, give them a call during office ours with your concerns at any time. That's what they are there for.

Aozora
10-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Alrighty, thank you for the reassurance. I think I'm just being an overly protective snake mom, but I always hear how not to jump back if you get bit because broken teeth = A Very Bad Thing. I was definitely not expecting that, and I think I will be feeding her first rather than last because she had time to build up her feeding response as she smelled the mice.

DollysMom
10-16-2016, 07:23 PM
I'm an overprotective snake mom as well, so I totally understand where you are coming from. Believe me, you can't stop a startle reflex. I know you would have if you could have. Remember, struggling prey would have the same result as your being startled. Snake's teeth are made to shed and regrow, though no one including you, would jerk away from their confused snake on purpose.