• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

injured jaw?

Raven

One of my babies had trouble feeding last night and hasn't fixed her jaw. I will be calling the vet when they open, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help her while waiting to bring her? Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 48
It appears to be stuck shed restricting the lower jaw. You can see it on the beginning of the neck also. Mist it a few times till it loosens and remove. Use an ear swab if necessary to gently wipe off. Try to start at the neck and work it off towards the mouth. Be gentle!!
Removing the shed should cure it and he should be fine.

Now that I look at the pic again.....
Not sure if its the camera making the eyes look opaque or or he in fact has a completely stuck shed and not just the jaw.
Did he shed recently ??

Thank you! Yes, her lower jaw is the only part that has shed. The eye being opaque is just the flash from the camera. It was very difficult for me to photograph. I can try to get a better one later, I just didn't want to cause her any further injury.

I currently have her in her humidity box and am hoping that will help. I will try the swab technique shortly.

Oh Now I see what's going on thanks to your description...
Snakes heads will swell then shrink to break away the old skin. It appears the tightness around the neck is deforming the jaw. Hopefully once the shed is off all will be normal again. :)

Added .. I've seen that exact scenario before and all was fine after !

Thank you daddio! I'm really glad to hear that she should be just fine once she sheds! She looks terribly uncomfortable. Should I be concerned that she can't close her mouth properly at the moment? Will this affect her breathing or lungs?

Your Welcome :)
I wouldn't worry about it...
Hopefully you will get the old skin moist enough to remove it today.

(Just don't give her a bath where she could accidentally drown ! :) )

Definitely no bath! I was just worried that she could develop respiratory infection from being in her humidity box with her mouth being half opened.

Thank you for your advice and reassurance! She mostly seems ok. She finally shed though her jawline and head still look "lumpy" and not quite right. Her eye is actually that color, that is not retained shed nor a flash. Sorry again for the lack of photo quality, this little one is very active and difficult to photograph.

Attachments

• injured jaw R dot 2.jpg
    injured jaw R dot 2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 27
Glad to help :)
Probably take a few days for the jaw to go back to normal.
Boy talking about a 2 dimensional pic distorting reality LOL. Her eye looks really goofy...

Back