PDA

View Full Version : Actually shedding while eating a mouse?

Actually shedding while eating a mouse?

heybarb
11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
My son's corn snake is about 18 months old. It's grown fast and has been super healthy and very predictable. He eats a large mouse every week for 4 weeks, then gets blue, and sheds. This past cycle was usual in that after his shed, he ate one mouse, then refused a mouse the following week. A week later, he was blue, pale and looked like he would shed. But a week later, he looked bright again, even though we couldn't find a skin. So, last night my son fed him a mouse. He didn't attack it, so we left it in the container with him. About 30 minutes later, we opened the lid and find him in the middle of his shed, while eating his mouse. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, but this is our first snake...see the picture.

How unusual is this?

DollysMom
11-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Not at all unusual. The only thing that keeps it from happening more often is that many snakes are not fed in shed, but I've heard of this more than once. The trifecta is if they also poop at the same time. I know someone here had that happen.

If you don't already know, it is normal that they clear a few days before shedding. If they have been in blue, they will shed even if they look clear.

Your snake is lovely, btw. Welcome to the forum!

axis1
11-16-2016, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=DollysMom;1721507]. . . The trifecta is if they also poop at the same time. I know someone here had that happen. . . QUOTE]

I once tried to blow my nose and fart at the same time. But that was only after one of my buddies informed a group of us who were gathered at a get-together that it couldn't be done. Well, I did it! (Wound up cleaning up MUCH MORE of the house than I was planning on! But such is the price and risk of standing out from the crowd!).

Don't know if this counts, especially considering that it was no "trifecta" at all (an "exacta" maybe?), but your response to this post & thread was actually an experiential mnemonic which triggered a pleasant memory!

How ya been? :crazy02:

axis1
11-16-2016, 03:34 PM
My son's corn snake is about 18 months old. It's grown fast and has been super healthy and very predictable. He eats a large mouse every week for 4 weeks, then gets blue, and sheds. This past cycle was usual in that after his shed, he ate one mouse, then refused a mouse the following week. A week later, he was blue, pale and looked like he would shed. But a week later, he looked bright again, even though we couldn't find a skin. So, last night my son fed him a mouse. He didn't attack it, so we left it in the container with him. About 30 minutes later, we opened the lid and find him in the middle of his shed, while eating his mouse. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen, but this is our first snake...see the picture.

How unusual is this?

Very cool pic, BTW! Thanx for sharing heybarb!

:welcome:

DollysMom
11-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Lol Axis! If shed, eat and poop isn't analogous to win, place and show, I am definitely missing something.

axis1
11-17-2016, 05:39 AM
Lol Axis! If shed, eat and poop isn't analogous to win, place and show, I am definitely missing something.

:iagree:

Got me there Dollysmom! I'd settle for just the second and third activities at this point in my life, given my daily list of other challenges. I ain't greedy!

heybarb
11-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the reassurance and the compliments on Tucker's beauty! S/he is a great snake! I'm also glad that I reminded you of some positive, happy memories! ;-)

axis1
11-18-2016, 06:08 AM
Thank you for the reassurance and the compliments on Tucker's beauty! S/he is a great snake! I'm also glad that I reminded you of some positive, happy memories! ;-)

Hiya there heybarb! How ya been?

All joking aside, your little sneaky one is certainly a beautiful snake! The fact the he is shedding while eating tells me that he feels safe in your care!

If you can, you should post more pics of him, since his colors are striking! (That is, AFTER he fully digests!).

Thanx for sharing!