PDA

View Full Version : "Cooked" mouse?

"Cooked" mouse?

texasreb
01-12-2017, 12:17 PM
I'm afraid I over-warmed my snake's mouse. It wasn't too hot when I fed it, but when my snake struck it, the mouse kinda fell apart. Not to be graphic, but the guts fell out of the mouse.

There was no way I was getting that mouse away from the snake so I hope he's going to be okay.

I bought the said mouse frozen at a big box pet store and it had been frozen continuously until I thawed it in the 'fridge yesterday. I heated it as I always do by pouring water heated in the coffee pot over the mouse.

I guess I over did it and half cooked the mouse. This has never happened before. Will the snake be okay?

I also have the problem of having an exceptionally messy 'tat to deal with. I can and will wipe up as much as I can, but there are mouse guts all over the cage.

Ugh...this is just so gross.

Dragonling
01-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Haha! Yep, overcooked mice tend to do that. I've noticed that especially with Arctic Mice at PetSmart. Our water gets so ridiculously hot that they just kind of explode if I'm not careful about the temperature.

texasreb
01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
It was gaggingly gross! Will my snake be okay? He ate the thing like nothing was wrong...

texasreb
01-12-2017, 05:31 PM
It was gaggingly gross! Will the snake be okay? He scarfed the gooey thing down like it was delicious...

texasreb
01-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Oops! I guess once would have sufficed...

Dragonling
01-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, he'll be fine. I had some pinkies get too COLD and shatter so I am stuck feeding mostly pinky parts to my smallest snabbers. It's pretty gross, but they never seem to complain!

texasreb
01-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Thank you!

Pinky parts.... Yucky!

Zombiegirl
01-15-2017, 04:32 PM
I had this issue when I would microwave the water (without the mice of course), the mice would "explode"...it was so gross lol. I've since switched to just using super hot tap water (doesn't get to boiling like the microwaved water did) and just change the water as needed to make sure the mice/rats are thawed and warm.