PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected egg

Unexpected egg

Rigby & Marcy
01-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Hi, haven't been around for awhile. Things are as usual with all the snakes, except I have a concern with Venus. She's a retired breeder (~9-10 years old?) and every spring she lays a clutch of eggs in May for old times' sake. 2 weeks ago was her feeding day and she didn't eat. When they don't eat I try again on their next regular day. But 2 days ago I found a single slug in her hide. I don't know why she would lay just one, and in January no less. She also has not shed since October. She always sheds before and after laying. I put a lay box in her viv in case she wanted to lay more, but she hasn't been in it. Is it possible to just lay one egg? Today is her feeding day, I will offer and see if she takes it.

Nanci
01-16-2017, 06:12 AM
I'd prepare for more eggs! Sometimes females lay a few single slugs before laying the bulk of the clutch. I have a Cali king who just randomly lays slugs year 'round, it seems like. I just find them in her substrate. Petrified- it's pretty cool, actually. I've got several females who lay slugs every spring. I wish they wouldn't, it takes so much out of them.

Rigby & Marcy
01-16-2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks Nanci, I'm glad this isn't just us. She still hasn't used her lay box and she did eat her mouse yesterday, so hopefully this nonsense is over for now. I wish she wouldn't lay so many slugs either, she's fairly thin and it does take a lot out of them as you say.