PDA

View Full Version : Vomited mouse day after emergency surgery

Vomited mouse day after emergency surgery

esreivko
02-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Found what looks like half digested pinkie in cage. 5 days after feeding 1.5 days after emergency eye removal. Giving her oral meds definitely stressful and I'm sure contributed. Should I worry? Should I do something? I called emergency vet and the one I saw isn't in tn and her partner won't even speak to me unless I come in and pay the 100 bucks to be seen. I just spent $700 for surgery I can't afford that but they don't care. I can't edit pic to be small enough with phone so I'll attach 2 halves seperate

esreivko
02-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Picture of 2nd half

insomniac101
02-08-2017, 12:24 AM
First, I'm so sorry to hear that she's not doing well. Second, I'm surprised they advised you to feed her so soon after surgery.

I live near you - where did you take her for treatment? $700 is pretty steep, and it's disturbing that a partner in the practice won't even speak to you. Were you even given discharge instructions?

I can recommend a very knowledgeable herp vet that I've used for over ten years, if you're interested.

Kathy

esreivko
02-08-2017, 12:41 AM
Hi Kathy. I fed her before the eye got rly bad. Emergency vet in rochester. I figured by the amount that I got charged I was getting hosed but the eye was rly bad and she was in pain and I didn't want it to cause anything else to go wrong so I just did it. Idc abt the money spent at this point but I only have so much. If I ever see that partner I'll cuss her out. Novi emergency vet was very helpful over phone a few min ago . If I ever have to go back in middle of night again I'll go to them. We have appointment to see a vet, dr dixon i think, at a place called Ark next weds to follow up. Idk why the pink wasn't digested after 5 days but she's had alot going on. The oral meds have been kinda traumatic, can't be helping things. I just want her to be ok :( . Ps I found her in a parking lot off woodward a few weeks ago half dead and she already had the eye problem so idk how it started. I'd love help of any kind as I am new to this and wasn't exactly prepared to adopt. Thanks for the comment and offer

esreivko
02-08-2017, 12:53 AM
My name is Erik btw and this is poor Juju in her current state. I've been really scared for her since the eye got worse despite meds. Hopefully she'll be ok now but idk enough to know whether I'm just freaking out or if my concerns are warranted

insomniac101
02-08-2017, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that doesn't look good, and you did what you had to do at the time.

I've been to The Ark - I keep degus (South American rodents), and Dr. Nadine Richter neutered one of my males. I've not met Dr. Dixon, so can't comment on her reptile expertise.

It's your call, of course, but I would call Dr. Howard Schwartz, at Clarkston Veterinary Hospital. He is "the guy" to see if you have a sick/injured reptile. He knows what he's doing, and has been treating reptiles for over 30 years. (248) 625-1821. Tell him I sent you.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Kathy Robbins

Nanci
02-08-2017, 06:03 AM
What substrate are you keeping her on? Is that the dark brown stuff in the photo? I feel so much better, if that's what it is. Like Reptibark or something?

I feel like I'm seeing definite urates in the mucous in the upper part of the photo. The beige part in the lower section of the photo is what "food" looks like when it moves through the bowel quickly and doesn't get tinged by bile.

The big glob looks like a pink, and it is fairly unusual for one to get pooped out whole- so it could be that she regurged that on top of the poop. Which wouldn't be all that unusual after all her traveling, and anesthesia, and surgery.

$700 is steep- but not out of line, above ER prices if you go to an emergency vet, where everything is double, at least. I would expect a "routine" uncomplicated surgery at a reptile vet during normal business hours to run in the $250-$350 range. A friend of mine has had three, I think, snakes "spayed" for egg binding, (in the process of laying) and those surgeries are in the $900-$1200 range. Each. Well, actually I think one of them just had a surgical repair, and is technically able to breed again with a high degree of certainty that she could lay without complications. But anyway...

Well, she looks not awful in the photo. Not worse, at least.

I'm sorry you're going through so much stress just for being a good person and picking her up.

esreivko
02-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Yea those are wood chips. Schwartz was one of the recommendations I got. You're selling him pretty well lol I'll head over there then if I can. It's not so much the stress as much as idk how good or bad she's actually doing because I haven't had her very long and I don't want to do anything to make things worse

insomniac101
02-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Well, it sounds like she's had enough stress for now. I would just keep her warm and dry, and leave her alone until you can either get her to Dr. Schwartz, or Dr. Dixon. Maybe get her off the wood chips, and put her on paper towels. Do you have an under-tank heat mat, and thermostat? A hide box?

I'm not far from you - I can take a look at her, or give you any supplies you may need.

Kathy

esreivko
02-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Ksthy She's got a 40gal tank with 2 hides. A have a lamp with ceramic heat emitter. It's 85-90 in the hot part and 70-75 on the cool side. Big water bowl. I made apt with Dr schwartz mon morning. Looks like my diet is going to be pretty Ramen noodle heavy for a while but that's ok as long as she gets better. I feel alot better knowing we are going to see "the guy to see". So far vets have been hard to find and when we do they aren't super knowledgeable. If you'd like send me an email at eriksevo@gmail.com and we'll get in touch. Would be nice

insomniac101
02-13-2017, 05:24 PM
I just wanted to commend Erik for all he has done for this little snake! I had originally planned to meet him at the vet's office this morning, but couldn't get out of work.

He stopped by my office with her, on his way home from the vet. Other than being a little thin, she was alert and active. He found this poor snake in a parking lot, in below freezing weather. He saw that she was hurt, so he kept her warm until he could get her to the ER.

This is an individual who will have to do without a lot of things for awhile, because he chose to help an animal in need, rather than walk away.

You're awesome Erik! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Kathy

Nanci
02-13-2017, 07:28 PM
VERY AMAZING!!!

I'm so glad you could lay eyes on her, so Erik could be reassured by a fellow snake lover.

esreivko
02-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Kathy you are very kind. You are also the one that paid most of our bill today when you'd never even met me so dont forget abt yourself. Thank you for all your help. Also Nanci you have been very reassuring and informative since the very beginning of this adventure. Dollysmom has also been very supportive. I'm really glad I found this forum. Even more glad that we appear to be heading in the right direction. Now we gotta start putting on some weight

texasreb
02-14-2017, 03:53 PM
I hope she pulls through for you. Kudos for being such a kind soul.

esreivko
02-14-2017, 05:16 PM
We appreciate your well wishes texasreb. I am optimistic about the future. After all we've had pretty good juju so far