PDA

View Full Version : Unmotivated shedder? Is my snake getting lazy with age?

Unmotivated shedder? Is my snake getting lazy with age?

hexagonwonders
02-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Hi guys. I have a 9 year old snow corn snake (named Piano) and I've had him for about 2 and a half years. He used to shed perfectly with little help but as time has gone on, he's been really... lazy about it. He'll start and then never finish, and when I try to help, he gets very distressed. He seems to really dislike getting wet. He makes small wheezy sounds when he's upset (is that a universal noise of distress? they're like squeaky whistly sounds.) I've tried putting him in a container with a damp towel, putting wet moss in his cage, changing the substrate to a more humidity-trapping type of mulch, and he has a rough log to use. However none of this has helped him actually finish a shed on his own anymore.

Is he just too old to do it himself? Or am I not trying hard enough to get the conditions right for him to shed easily?

Thank you !!!

Dragonling
02-13-2017, 11:17 PM
That sounds troublesome. Squeaky whistle sounds are not typically normal outside of the occasional bit of shed trapped in a nasal passage during a shed. You might consult a vet to rule out respiratory illness. Lethargy could be a symptom.

Karl_Mcknight
02-14-2017, 06:11 AM
I agree. People with their zealous attempt to "Humidify" their snake many times end up making it sick instead. Too much moisture is just as bad as too little, especially if the temps are also too cool. I would visit a vet.

Nanci
02-14-2017, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't consider 9 old, at all. I guess, besides a check-up with a reptile vet, next time he sheds I'd mist his viv lightly once a day, and cover the screen top with plastic wrap just laid on it, not sealed, to keep in moisture. Mostly spray the sides and any fake plants he has.