PDA

View Full Version : Shed Retention

Shed Retention

Rhoman
07-07-2002, 08:43 PM
I have a yearling Blizzard corn that keeps retaining shed skin around the very tip of his tail. All three of my corns are kept on the same substrate(repti-bark) with humid hides and the other two corns have never had any problems they always have perfect sheds. I've tried give the Blizzard a bath before sheds, misting his cage more often, and just recently mineral oil. If the mineral oil doesn't work, what should I do? What is the reason that he is having so much trouble? Thanks for the help.
Rhoman

Gregg
07-07-2002, 11:16 PM
mine is but one.

I don't know.

I have an average humidity of around 69% to 70%. I mist frequently and use large water dishes. Still, I have had one corn to shed all but a ring around his body, just above its tail. The first time--two sheds ago--I didn't worry, figuring that he would shed this ring at the next shed. As time went on, however, it became apparent that this ring was causing a serious problem--the rest of his body was increasing in size, but the area where the ring of skin was left wasn't increasing in size.

...So, I took him to the vet. The vet gave me some DSS Solution, which smells like soap, and probably is, which I mixed 1 oz to 16 oz's of water. The snake with the problem is soaked in this solution for 30 minutes (yeah, I know, but if you give them a book and some tea, light some candles and incense, and put friends on the TV, they'll stay. I tried putting Mark O'Shea on the TV, but it scared my poor snake to death.). It really works wonders for bringing about a good shed. Ask your vet about it. If he is unfamiliar with the product, he can contact my vet at harkherp@aol.com.

Jr Nimeskern
07-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Ive had some problems with my corns shed... I wouldnt really know the problem of your question but your humidy sounds like its at a good place... I would continue to give your corn a bath after his shed... if you hold your snake a little tighter when the water is running on them... then the shed should come right off... but make sure that you dont force the shed off let it come off while you hold it and the snake pulls it off... hope I made sense...

pauljordanuk
07-08-2002, 03:15 AM
You could try alsorts of things but I went to vet a month ago with same problem, there was a stubborn bit of skin left from shed. It was like a small elastic band about 1 inch from the end of his tail. The vet had a look, and I told him all the tricks I tried, baths sack with wet towel, all kinds of things but they all failed. He said the best thing to do is use a product called Aqua Gel (in UK) its just a water based solution that keeps the tail very moist, when handling, give the snake a good dose say last few inches of tail. Have some of the gel on your fingers and has he glides through he covers himself !!Do this twice a day, after a few days the skin will break free, I found it works perfectly well, and causes less stress to the snake unlike trying to give him a bath or some of the other methods. Although some snakes do like a bath, mine doesnt. Also some vets would give you a similar product but charge a fortune for it. I would definately not use tweezers... are you sure that it is still skin left from a shed or is it an injury that is trying to heel ?? either way the Aqua Gel wont do any harm, if it is an injury then the gel seels the area from infection to a certain degree. Best of Luck.. ;-)

Rhoman
07-08-2002, 06:29 AM
The shed retention is only like the last centimeter tip of tail. I suppose it could be an injury but I'm not sure on what. Could you tell me the ingredients of aqua gel? I haven't seen a product here in Carolina called that but perhaps I can find something similar. For now I'm going to keep puting mineral oil on and might try to work it off sometime later on in the week. Thanks again.
Rhoman

pauljordanuk
07-08-2002, 06:49 AM
Well heres the URL, its commonly used for all kinds of stuff, so I cant see there being a problem getting a substitute in Carolina. Its that stuff they use when they do a scan on pregnant women. They put some clear gel on the equipment and the woman. Just water based gel.... Doesn't cost a bundle either.. http://www.adams-healthcare.co.uk/interactive/ph/interactive_ph_aquagel_01.htm

CornCrazy
07-08-2002, 06:31 PM
It's a water based gel. I bet it would work and it is quite cheap. Let all of us know if it works!!!

My king snake had trouble shedding, but after I switched him to a sweater box, he has had perfect sheds ever since. What kind of enclosure do you have?

Rhoman
07-08-2002, 06:44 PM
All of which I keep in 28qt rubbermaid tubs. So what I don't understand is I treat all of them the same. If anything I've been providing greater humidty for him since he's been having trouble. So I just don't get it. But I will try the gel and see if it works and let you know.
Rhoman

CornCrazy
07-08-2002, 10:08 PM
There is a really good aquatic/reptile pet store about 30 minutes from where I live. The manager of the reptile side has been taking care of snakes for years. Anyway, when my snake was having trouble with his sheds, I was told to put him in a shoebox size rubbermaid container. He said that anything larger would lose too much moisture because my snake didn't make much mositure with his respirations. He told me that even with a moist hide box...unless the snake stays in there almost all the time...wouldn't help. Most of the moisture escapes. I also have a kingsnake that is almost a yearling (she weighs 94 grams). I still keep her in the next size rubbermaid...12 quart, I think. Maybe you could try a smaller box. It's worth a try anyway. Please let me know if you try the smaller box...and if it helps. Good luck!:D

CornCrazy
07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
How big are your other corns?

Rhoman
07-08-2002, 10:23 PM
A Green-blotched snow that's about 24 inches. A Lavender that's about 14 inches. And the blizzard is about 19 inches. These are estimates I haven't gotten real good mesurements but I will this week now that I have serpwidgets snake measure program. Serp if you read this awesome program. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Rhoman

CornCrazy
07-09-2002, 05:39 AM
It may still be worth a try...just to see what happens. I suppose they can all be a bit different in their needs...just like other animals.

Rhoman
07-12-2002, 07:31 PM
The KY on the tail tip for a couple of days and it worked. I checked on him just a couple of minutes ago and all the old pieces that had stuck to the tip are gone. His tail is now perfectly clean. Thank you all for your help.
Rhoman

CornCrazy
07-12-2002, 08:06 PM
I am very glad it worked! I'll be certain to remember that little trick if any of mine have trouble shedding!

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Rhoman.... My understanding is that if your're going to use an oil on your snake a mineral oil may not be the best, Try a vitamin e or a flax oil. Always check the tail area after each shed as this tends to be a problem area. A light oil massage, on occasion will also help with shedding. Sam ~~~~~~:~

pauljordanuk Thanks for that tip that you got from the vet. I bet it will come in handy for many members! ~~~~~:~ Sam

Gregg! I wondered where you were at! Still being a bad influence on your snakes I see!;) With too much TV and staying up late! ~~~~~~:~Sam

Genny
07-18-2002, 01:56 PM
My snake had the same problem. When I took him to the vet she told me he had a small scar from an injury. She told me a bunch of things to try and none of them worked. My snake lost the end of his tail a month later. He is doing fine and hardly noticed, he will just not be as long as other corns. Since then when he sheds it has no longer been a problem.

Genny