PDA

View Full Version : Hatchling with a kink

Hatchling with a kink

Rob_92
06-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Hello, yesterday I had my first ever hatchling hatch, very exciting! But I straight away noticed he had a deformation in his tail (see photos). I think he's come a bit premature though? he came out on day 60, and weighs 7g. Im still waiting for others in the clutch of 10 to hatch, so far only one other has started piping 25 hours after this little guy.

Thw third photo I tried to show the underside, where the kink is the belly is white.

He seems happy and can move around just fine but, just wondering if anyone can provide any helpful advice as to why this happened or if i need to treat him any differently.

Thanks!

Nanci
06-06-2017, 06:18 PM
No one really knows if it is genetic, or something that happened during incubation to create a deformity. It seems to be prevalent in lavenders, the most. You don't need to treat him any differently, but if you give him away as a pet, make sure the new owner knows he is kinked. He will live a long and happy life, most likely.

Zombiegirl
06-06-2017, 08:11 PM
It seems to be prevalent in lavenders, the most.

I have a lavender who has a pretty significant kink in his neck (knew that going in, I have a soft spot for the special ones) and several kinks down his spine that you can't see but can feel, and other than having to feed him slightly smaller than average mice, he has been just fine. He eats well (little pig...) sheds ok (needed help for a while) and poops so, as long as he continues to do so I think he'll live a full life. I do keep an eye on him though just in case.

Congrats on your first hatchling, he/she's pretty cute :)

Rob_92
06-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys, it being my first ever hatchling I think I'm going to have to keep him/her anyway, so I hope he/she will be fine!

DollysMom
06-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Adorable baby. Glad you are keeping him. Congrats!

LadyJemima
06-14-2017, 08:11 PM
My cat was born with a kinked tail. Makes her special! :)