• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How often are snakes really "hungry" ?

LadyJemima

Snakes are the new sexy
Of course snakes are opportunistic eaters...I just fed Tango an adult mouse and after it went down the hatch....search search search around the feeding bin to see if there were any more. :face_palm_02: This made me wonder if anyone knows how often snakes are truly "hungry." In the wild, after they digest their food and defecate, I assume their brains must trigger them to look for more food. We also know they can go months without eating. When we get to day 10, 11, or 12 of a 14-day feeding schedule, will a snake be especially hungry? Will its behavior change? Will it be "irritable" or less amiable to being handled?

Just curious.

A corn snake will eat himself into obesity if you offer the food.

In the wild they eat as they come upon food, and depending on the time of year and location, there may be food plentiful or they could go 2 or 3 months between meals.

But in captivity, they depend on us to offer meals on a regular basis.

You can tell when your snake appears to be "Hunting" then he's hungry.

When I feed Rufus, he usually goes into his warm hide for 2 to 3 days. He will then come out to poop. I usually play with him daily at this point. Around day 5 or 6 he's usually cruising about his cage looking around. He's no longer hiding. I view this as a sign that he's looking for food.

But that doesn't mean I have to feed him. I have him on a schedule regardless of how he feels about it. LOL!

I'm currently feeding him on a 14 day schedule as he is over 400 grams now. He can look for food all he wants, but he's just gonna have to wait.

Back