PDA

View Full Version : A little non feeder....

A little non feeder....

angelcornsnake
10-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I decided to create a new topic in this forum instead if the behaviour problems one because the issue now is just with feeding, not behabiour.

My little 4 month old corn snake seems to be settling in but i tried feeding her twice with no luck. First time the day i got her on Sunday night... big mistake. Then again today.

She's been much better, not as shy but still hiding all the time. She's moved around the hides but not really roaming when we are around. She's got used to me now. I took her out for a 5 minutes yesterday, when i was alone, in very low lighting, and she was ok and today I handled her again and she was very very happy to just explore my hands or sit and chill on there. We offered my husband's hands but she'd turn round and want to climb back on mine. So all good. When I saw her wanting to start exploring away from my hands I slowly let her go back in the viv. She explored a bit and then chose to sit in the warm hide.

An hour later, with very low lighting, I slightly lifted the hide a little bit and offered her the pinky (thawed and warmed up a bit under warm water and pat dried with kitchen towel). She didn't really see the tongs because I slowly put the pinky through the hide entrance. She sniffed and licked but left it. Then I placed the toilet paper roll at the entrance of the hide and put the pinky right at the edge of it next to her. All lights off she's been alone since but I sneakily checked and she's having none of this. She just won't eat.

I tried slap teasing her, wriggling the mouse a little, leaving her with it overnight... nothing. She hasn't missed a feed before apparently.

Next time I won't handle her on feeding at all. If that fails, maybe I will put her in the small plastic box in which I brought her home and offer her the pinky in there but then again that would be a new place for her an she will be stressed again :/. I don't know what else to do. She was feeding fine before i got her.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DollysMom
10-04-2017, 06:33 PM
How often are you string to feed. How soon did you try to feed after bring your snake home?

A four month old has presumably been feeding. The change of scenery and/or the travel can throw them off their feed. Give at least 5 days with no disturbance except to change water. Then try a pinkie warmed to about 98 degrees in a covered deli cup with air holes. Put a paper towel loosely over the deli cup. Do this just after dark and leave the snake completely alone for at least 4 hours. If all goes well this will result in a missing mouse and very round snake tummy.

Karl_Mcknight
10-04-2017, 06:52 PM
Also, some snakes will refuse food if they are about to shed, or if the temperatures in their cage are not conducive to proper digestion.

Make sure you have a temperature gradient within the cage, Room temp (about 70 to 74 degrees) on one side, and a warmed side (about 82 to 88 degrees) on the other side. The higher temps are needed for digestion. If a snake senses the temps are too cool, it may not eat.

Also, since you just acquired the snake, you probably do not know its full history, including last time it shed? If it's about to shed, it may refuse to eat as well.

Probably nothing to worry about just yet. Snakes can live a very long time without food. Check your temps, and observe for shedding. Wait a week or so and try to feed again.

The snake will eat when it's ready.

If you don't see any shed, and you're sure the temps are right, after several weeks, you might want to visit a vet.

daddio207
10-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm always excited to see new snake hobbyist! welcome and congrats.
I quickly read this and one of your other threads. You have already been given all the advice needed so mine will be just reinforcement of it.

You posted " So I got my little butter motley 4 month old Daisy on Sunday 1st October"
3 days is not sufficient time to allow the snake to "settle in"
Shiara advised "She is stressed out. Missing a meal or two isn't going to harm her. Leave her alone *completely* except to change her water every few days, for at least a week"
I AGREE ! AND also You stressing over her eating is causing the hatchling to stress ! It's been 3 days. Start over and leave her alone for the next week.
Karl could be correct about shedding...
The pic you posted where she looks "blue" could be the fact that she is actually "in blue" or more accurately she is in the first phase of the shed cycle and is the reason she won't eat. Some will eat but it is highly discouraged to feed during the shed cycle. Giving her a week alone will determine if she is in fact going to shed.
Follow Dollysmom advice for feeding for your first attempt IN A WEEK !

Twolunger
10-05-2017, 11:39 AM
You have received some good advice already, and given a little time I'm sure she will eat. However, after reading your posts I didn't notice if you contacted the breeder to ask how he/she was feeding her. Was the breeder using a rack system to house her, if in a vivarium what substrate was used, what hides did the breeder use? I sold a 2 month old snow and the buyer contacted me a week later saying she wouldn't eat. I ran through the typical care requirements, heating, etc. and all seemed okay, so I told the buyer to give her some time to acclimate. 3 weeks later the buyer said she still had not eaten. I replaced the corn with an older one and the buyer sent the non-eater back to me. I put her back in her previous container in my rack and offered her a pinkie, which she ripped right off my tongs. I sent a picture to the buyer, who couldn't believe it. So you can see how a change in housing may affect a snake.

DollysMom
10-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Just another thought to hopefully encourage you. Everyone here has at one point been very worried about a baby snake just doing what baby snakes do, which is hide all day. Don’t worry about acclimating your snake to handling. That will come in due time. So will your “snake sense” that allows you to see and assess what is going on with your snake and know how to handle it. Everyone who has responded has at the least a couple of years experience and most have dealt with one or more babies that didn’t eat at first. We do understand how difficult it can be. Hang in there. We are cheering you on!

angelcornsnake
10-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Also, some snakes will refuse food if they are about to shed, or if the temperatures in their cage are not conducive to proper digestion.

Make sure you have a temperature gradient within the cage, Room temp (about 70 to 74 degrees) on one side, and a warmed side (about 82 to 88 degrees) on the other side. The higher temps are needed for digestion. If a snake senses the temps are too cool, it may not eat.

Also, since you just acquired the snake, you probably do not know its full history, including last time it shed? If it's about to shed, it may refuse to eat as well.

Probably nothing to worry about just yet. Snakes can live a very long time without food. Check your temps, and observe for shedding. Wait a week or so and try to feed again.

The snake will eat when it's ready.

If you don't see any shed, and you're sure the temps are right, after several weeks, you might want to visit a vet.Hello, thank you. Yes temps are ok. She moves more now from one hide to the other. I don't know when she last shed, you're right. I thought her eyes went pale but it was the lighting. I'll try her again on Sunday:)

angelcornsnake
10-05-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm always excited to see new snake hobbyist! welcome and congrats.
I quickly read this and one of your other threads. You have already been given all the advice needed so mine will be just reinforcement of it.

You posted " So I got my little butter motley 4 month old Daisy on Sunday 1st October"
3 days is not sufficient time to allow the snake to "settle in"
Shiara advised "She is stressed out. Missing a meal or two isn't going to harm her. Leave her alone *completely* except to change her water every few days, for at least a week"
I AGREE ! AND also You stressing over her eating is causing the hatchling to stress ! It's been 3 days. Start over and leave her alone for the next week.
Karl could be correct about shedding...
The pic you posted where she looks "blue" could be the fact that she is actually "in blue" or more accurately she is in the first phase of the shed cycle and is the reason she won't eat. Some will eat but it is highly discouraged to feed during the shed cycle. Giving her a week alone will determine if she is in fact going to shed.
Follow Dollysmom advice for feeding for your first attempt IN A WEEK !Thank you :). I will leave her alone till Sunday now.

I'm not sure she's shedding. I think it was the lighting. Anyway we will soon find out!

I will keep you updated!

angelcornsnake
10-05-2017, 02:11 PM
You have received some good advice already, and given a little time I'm sure she will eat. However, after reading your posts I didn't notice if you contacted the breeder to ask how he/she was feeding her. Was the breeder using a rack system to house her, if in a vivarium what substrate was used, what hides did the breeder use? I sold a 2 month old snow and the buyer contacted me a week later saying she wouldn't eat. I ran through the typical care requirements, heating, etc. and all seemed okay, so I told the buyer to give her some time to acclimate. 3 weeks later the buyer said she still had not eaten. I replaced the corn with an older one and the buyer sent the non-eater back to me. I put her back in her previous container in my rack and offered her a pinkie, which she ripped right off my tongs. I sent a picture to the buyer, who couldn't believe it. So you can see how a change in housing may affect a snake.Hello :),

Yes I contacted the breeder. He told me that she was in one of those smaller plastic containers with aspen, water and no hide. She's probably loving the hides now! None of the hatching from this batch had issues feeding but some preferred to not strike feed and she's probably one of them.
He's really good with the animals I have to say. He's got a lot of experience but I didn't follow his advice not to handle her on the day I'm planning to feed her.
So starting again now. :)

angelcornsnake
10-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Just another thought to hopefully encourage you. Everyone here has at one point been very worried about a baby snake just doing what baby snakes do, which is hide all day. Don’t worry about acclimating your snake to handling. That will come in due time. So will your “snake sense” that allows you to see and assess what is going on with your snake and know how to handle it. Everyone who has responded has at the least a couple of years experience and most have dealt with one or more babies that didn’t eat at first. We do understand how difficult it can be. Hang in there. We are cheering you on!Thank you for your advice. I will try again on Sunday. She seems more interested in the tongs than the pinky!

I tried on Sunday when I got her. Mistake, I know. Then left her alone. Then Tuesday and Wednesday I held her and she was chilled. Wednesday night I tried feeding and she wasn't interested.

The breeder told me that she hasn't missed a feed but doesn't remember if she's one of the few that don't like the tongs. For some he had to leave the pinky and let them get on with it.

I don't want to try training pinkie and cutting them up. I know they're dead but I'm not ready for breaking skulls yet Lol!!

Thank you so much for your support! I'm staying away for now and I'll see what she does on Sunday. I would prefer not to move her yo a small pot because of like her yo feed in her tank but I'll try that next if she doesn't feed on Sunday.

DollysMom
10-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Best wishes. Glad you are in touch with the breeder. That can be such a help. Out of my four snakes (only 2 are corns) I’ve been lucky to be able to work closely with the breeders for two of them. Neither were the corn snakes, but I did have the support of the folks here when my baby corn needed the deli cup treatment 2 years ago. She’s thriving and my most enthusiastic eater now!

angelcornsnake
10-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Best wishes. Glad you are in touch with the breeder. That can be such a help. Out of my four snakes (only 2 are corns) I’ve been lucky to be able to work closely with the breeders for two of them. Neither were the corn snakes, but I did have the support of the folks here when my baby corn needed the deli cup treatment 2 years ago. She’s thriving and my most enthusiastic eater now!Hello, thank you. I hope Daisy starts eating too! I have some news, she shed her skin last night so maybe that was it! I haven't handled her since Wednesday and I will try feeding tomorrow night.

Regarding the deli cup, how exactly do you do it?

Have a nice weekend:)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/ad06668ce48f7b2e3ee301ebf5684196.jpg

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Karl_Mcknight
10-07-2017, 11:56 AM
wait 2 or 3 days so she can recuperate from her shed. Then try to feed her.

DollysMom
10-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Congrats on the shed. I’m betting that did have something to do with it.

Karl is right. Wait a bit. I outlined the deli cup process in my post above. If something about it is unclear please ask and I or someone else will clarify.

angelcornsnake
10-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Congrats on the shed. I’m betting that did have something to do with it.

Karl is right. Wait a bit. I outlined the deli cup process in my post above. If something about it is unclear please ask and I or someone else will clarify.Oh Yes!! Apologies, I read it again. It's clear :). Thanks

angelcornsnake
10-07-2017, 12:10 PM
wait 2 or 3 days so she can recuperate from her shed. Then try to feed her.Thanks, yes she shed Friday night so I'll try her on Sunday night.

DollysMom
10-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Oh Yes!! Apologies, I read it again. It's clear :). Thanks

No apologies needed! I just hope all goes smoothly for you and Daisy now.

angelcornsnake
10-07-2017, 12:21 PM
No apologies needed! I just hope all goes smoothly for you and Daisy now.:) we'll see. She night still refuse. I'm eagerly waiting to see her swallow a pinky haha!!

Karl_Mcknight
10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
My snake always refuses food before he sheds. In fact that's how I know he's about to shed. When he stops eating, I know a shed is coming. And then after he sheds, he's a mouse's worst nightmare. He will literally jump out of his box to grab the mouse sometimes.

angelcornsnake
10-07-2017, 03:30 PM
My snake always refuses food before he sheds. In fact that's how I know he's about to shed. When he stops eating, I know a shed is coming. And then after he sheds, he's a mouse's worst nightmare. He will literally jump out of his box to grab the mouse sometimes.I hope she starts tomorrow! I've never seen her feed so far:)

Holly12
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Well everyone has gave you awesome advise! now that she shed that skin off hopefully she will eat for you!. A lot of snakes are like that they won't eat while in shed mode lol if you have a picture of her would love too see it!. :)

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Well everyone has gave you awesome advise! now that she shed that skin off hopefully she will eat for you!. A lot of snakes are like that they won't eat while in shed mode lol if you have a picture of her would love too see it!. :)They have indeed [emoji4] . I'm defrosting the pinky and hoping she's hungry. I posted a photo of her skin in page 2 of this thread:). Since she shed I haven't been able to take a photo of her!!

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Well everyone has gave you awesome advise! now that she shed that skin off hopefully she will eat for you!. A lot of snakes are like that they won't eat while in shed mode lol if you have a picture of her would love too see it!. :)The ones of her on my hands are before the shed. The one in the viv is during :). You can see her on the right and her skin on the left https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/58055002ffc3af1f060038eca0236498.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/0a267e21e8c3176c7565f82b72c8d3f0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/0461ec77bf1307b71e9cb70d4c1a3f97.jpg

DollysMom
10-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Congrats. That’s a very nice looking shed! She’s a very pretty snake. Wishing you both the best.

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Congrats. That’s a very nice looking shed! She’s a very pretty snake. Wishing you both the best.Thank you very much!

DollysMom
10-08-2017, 04:05 PM
You are welcome. I love my butter motley, Cleo. You have a lot to look forward to with yours!

Holly12
10-08-2017, 04:35 PM
Wow she is a beautiful looking girl! I love her colors just breath taking!. let me know if she ate for you. There are other things you can try and I can help you with that!. it's worth a try anyways lol. ;)

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 05:18 PM
You are welcome. I love my butter motley, Cleo. You have a lot to look forward to with yours!How lovely! I thought of the name Cleo too :).

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Wow she is a beautiful looking girl! I love her colors just breath taking!. let me know if she ate for you. There are other things you can try and I can help you with that!. it's worth a try anyways lol. ;)Thanks! Well I have good news!!! Posting below [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji216] [emoji216] [emoji193] [emoji193] [emoji193]

angelcornsnake
10-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Hello :). I thought I'd try her with the tongs while she was still in her hide. I lifted the hide slightly and offered the pinky and she just grabbed it from the tongs :). She took it away and had it very quickly.:). My worry now is that she might have had a small piece of aspen. I could see well. The breeder always feeds them in theirs vivs and in the 20 years he never has problems with substrate digestion so I'm hoping it's ok.

Thank you all so much for your advice. :). I hope I can help someone here too :)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/306abc58c0a8d85e139e7acfac7d1d9c.jpg

DollysMom
10-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Don’t worry about a small bit of aspen. She probably didn’t ingest it and if she did she’ll be okay.

Congrats!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

Holly12
10-09-2017, 11:48 AM
YAY!! she ate for you congrats it's always make us feel good when our corns eat lol. And DollysMom right don't worry about small bit of aspen I feed my corns out of there cage. But seems like she is going to be just fine!. :)

angelcornsnake
10-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Don’t worry about a small bit of aspen. She probably didn’t ingest it and if she did she’ll be okay.

Congrats!

:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::) can't wait to hold her tomorrow.

angelcornsnake
10-10-2017, 06:47 PM
YAY!! she ate for you congrats it's always make us feel good when our corns eat lol. And DollysMom right don't worry about small bit of aspen I feed my corns out of there cage. But seems like she is going to be just fine!. :)Thanks. Everyone's advice here has been so great!!

Corning
10-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Sweet looking baby. Glad she ate for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Sweet looking baby. Glad she ate for you.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThank you. Another feeding night and I'm nervous :)

DollysMom
10-15-2017, 04:19 PM
That’s very normal. Until they have a few successful feedings I’m always a little anxious.

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Hello all. How are you? We've had a good week. She's been out and about. All good really apart from the fact that I thought she had pooped but after reading up, the wet patch I found in the aspen was not poo but wee. So I'm thinking now... is she constipated because of that aspen she might have eaten? Not sure.

I can see a long brown bit inside her body above her tail and I'm think that it's her feaces (quite a lot of poop for a little 40cm snake!!).

I'll feed her a pinky tonight and see how it goes. She's 13 grams by the way at the age of 4.5 months.

I also bought an infrared thermometer gun and a hygrometer and it says humidity is 70% which is high from what I'm reading online. But I don't know how to reduce it. I've moved the water as far away from the mat as possible and made sure the vents are unobstructed. Not much else I can think of to do.

Any thoughts would be very welcome [emoji4]

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 04:27 PM
That’s very normal. Until they have a few successful feedings I’m always a little anxious.Yes absolutely:). I'm still nervous about my son's meal times and he's 9 years old lol! Still a struggle!

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 04:34 PM
Here it is. It's actually far away from her tail opening https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/5fdcbf5fcec7799d265654c545c2cdd3.jpg

DollysMom
10-15-2017, 04:54 PM
If you are talking about the darker bit of her belly above her neck as she is looped in the picture, those are internal organs. You would see the feces right above her vent. You can often see the organs in the lighter color morphs. I used to be able to see Cleo’s heart when she was little.

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 05:00 PM
If you are talking about the darker bit of her belly above her neck as she is looped in the picture,, those are internal organs. You would see the feces right above her vent. You can often see the organs in the lighter color morphs. I used to be able to see Cleo’s heart when she was little.Ah Yes! That's what I mean. From the anatomy photos on Google it looks like it is either her kidney or fecal matter in her large intestine which is probably impossible because she fed last Sunday. Even if she was impacted I'm guessing that it would have moved down a bit more.

I can see her little heart too :). By the way she just had a pinky in seconds. I'm not sure if she's ready for two yet.

DollysMom
10-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Congrats! Well done.

Either you missed her poop, which is very possible with babies, and happens all the time, or it’s still to come. Sometimes they double up and have 2 feedings, one poop. That’s not all that unusual. I’m betting you just missed it. Unless they are on paper they can be really difficult to find. I know I missed some with my babies.

DollysMom
10-15-2017, 05:11 PM
P.S. if you are feeding pinks you can feed as close as every 5 days if you like.

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 05:32 PM
P.S. if you are feeding pinks you can feed as close as every 5 days if you like.I think I'll try that. I'll do six days next time. :)

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Congrats! Well done.

Either you missed her poop, which is very possible with babies, and happens all the time, or it’s still to come. Sometimes they double up and have 2 feedings, one poop. That’s not all that unusual. I’m betting you just missed it. Unless they are on paper they can be really difficult to find. I know I missed some with my babies.Haha!! Maybe I have missed it. I've looked and looked but with aspen it is difficult.... But it would smell a bit. We'll see. What humidity do you have in your vivarium btw?

DollysMom
10-15-2017, 05:41 PM
60% but unless you are doing something to keep it high, which you are not, I would not worry about 70%. It is still within reason. Mine has been there on occasion in the summer, even with our A/C on.

angelcornsnake
10-15-2017, 06:23 PM
60% but unless you are doing something to keep it high, which you are not, I would not worry about 70%. It is still within reason. Mine has been there on occasion in the summer, even with our A/C on.Ah ok. That's great. Thank you.

Patmart
10-16-2017, 10:16 AM
DollysMom knows what she talking about she has helped me loads good luck with your new friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

angelcornsnake
10-16-2017, 10:51 AM
DollysMom knows what she talking about she has helped me loads good luck with your new friend

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkThank you. I know:). Always great advice!

DollysMom
10-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words, but remember, I’m still learning, too.

I’ll never forget the day I passed a big test for an instructor certificate, back in the day. The examiner reminded me that I had just earned a license to learn. Good advice then and now.

Patmart
10-16-2017, 11:17 AM
We are all leaning in life I lean something new every day
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holly12
10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Yes we are all learning there is always something that we can learn from our corns! lol angelcornsnake looks like you are doing a good job!. So kodos for your corn is very pretty! ;)

angelcornsnake
10-17-2017, 06:12 PM
Yes we are all learning there is always something that we can learn from our corns! lol angelcornsnake looks like you are doing a good job!. So kodos for your corn is very pretty! ;)Thank you! I hope I am! You're right. Never stop learning :)