PDA

View Full Version : Lesion/scab on skin

Lesion/scab on skin

nkanter
11-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Hi all my beautiful creamsicle cornsnake has a lesion on its side that looks like a scab with some flaking and minor swelling around it. He just ate yesterday a took his meal well. He doesn’t appear to be in any distress and doesn’t seem to have any pain or tenderness in the area. Any ideas what it is or what to do?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/7aceb22158627131779b73ff75aa37cc.jpg

Karl_Mcknight
11-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Did taking him to a vet not come to mind?

Twolunger
11-03-2017, 01:17 AM
You can't properly diagnose the lesion yourself. It may be scale rot and needs treatment. If it is indeed scale rot, it's usually caused by too much moisture or some abrasion to the scales allowing bacteria to infect the area. There are other possibilities, like tumors or fungal infections. A Vet will have to make that determination. Don't wait, it will not heal itself.

nkanter
11-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Did taking him to a vet not come to mind?

Exotic vet has no availability until this coming Tuesday so I thought I’d see if any of you have had similar problems. Thanks so much for your help though.

You can't properly diagnose the lesion yourself. It may be scale rot and needs treatment. If it is indeed scale rot, it's usually caused by too much moisture or some abrasion to the scales allowing bacteria to infect the area. There are other possibilities, like tumors or fungal infections. A Vet will have to make that determination. Don't wait, it will not heal itself.

Thank you for your input.

Twolunger
11-05-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm glad that you have an appointment with the exotic vet Tuesday. There are a couple things that you can do now. Clean the tank, or vivarium, and water bowl thoroughly with a mild bleach and water, or ammonia and water solution. Rinse it thoroughly and dry completely. If you use bedding, like aspen, put fresh bedding in and keep it dry. Don't let your corn tip over the water bowl. If the vet determines that it is a bacterial infection, he/she may give you a solution, such as 1% betadine to soak him in, plus antibiotic cream. Follow the vet instructions for the duration of the recommended treatment period. Don't stop because it appears the lesion is better. Please let us know what the vet decided was the problem.

nkanter
11-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Well after an excision under sedation it appears to have been some kind of tumor. Awaiting histopathology results.

DollysMom
11-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Hoping for the best, nkanter. Thanks for the update.

DLena
11-18-2017, 09:27 PM
I hope your snake is going to be okay.

nkanter
11-18-2017, 09:30 PM
He’s hanging in there. Results still not back. We are giving antibiotics by mouth daily and by injection every 4 days for the incision that is healing.

DollysMom
11-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the update. Still hoping for the best for your beautiful snake.

nkanter
11-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Pathology report not good. A tumor. A poorly differentiated sarcoma. He will eat as many delicious rats as he wishes in the coming months. ☹️

DollysMom
11-20-2017, 05:26 PM
I’m so sorry. I know you will do your best for him. I can tell he is well loved.

Twolunger
11-21-2017, 09:25 AM
I feel so bad, you waited for what seemed like an eternity for the results, and they were not good. But I am glad that you were there to provide the best care for him. I've been in your shoes. Thanks for being there for him.

nkanter
11-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Well at his last dressing change the mass had more than doubled in size and necrotic. It was only a matter of time before it was affecting his spine. He hadn’t taken a meal in a week since he was due. We decided to say goodbye and let our guy go.

DLena
11-26-2017, 08:49 PM
I’m very sorry. Thank you for sticking by him. I do believe they know when we love them. And it’s very difficult. I’m glad you have snakey people around you who understand your loss.

angelcornsnake
12-01-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear. It's great hat you've done the best you could for him and you were there to care for him when he needed you.

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

DollysMom
12-01-2017, 07:41 PM
I’m so sorry.