PDA

View Full Version : New snake stuck shed

New snake stuck shed

Saml8
04-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Hi. I brought my first snake home 2 days ago and it looks like she started shedding over these last two days but it was not a good shed. Should I put her in water to try to remove the stuck shed even though she's only been home for two days I've read the sticky on how to do this)? Would that be too stressful..?? Also they fed her a pinky the day I brought her home.

Info: snow corn (female) 4-6 months old

Thanks for the suggestions

Reptile Lover 23
04-21-2018, 10:10 PM
You could try the water trick, altho what i would do is buy some Spagnum moss,

what you want todo is get the spagnum moss and make sure its damp (best way todo this is to sqeeze the spagnum moss so theres no drips) when you buy spagnum moss its usually already damp.

then stick the spagnum moss in a RUB (Really useful box) e.g ice-cream tub or chinese tub making sure the spagnum moss isnt to cold, then stick Snow corn in for a few hours, till u start to see the stuck shed coming off.

(I think spagnum moss would be less stressful.) Let me know how you get on.

Saml8
04-21-2018, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply reptile lover 23. I made a moss humidity tub with hole in lid and set in her tank. As of now I don't believe she's gone into it. Would you suggest I actually close her in it?

Reptile Lover 23
04-21-2018, 11:10 PM
I would wait she may go inside if she feels she has too, if theres no sucess in a day or two id stick her in there not closed in tho leave the hole in the lid.

Patmart
04-22-2018, 11:19 AM
I agree with everything reptile love 23 has said I’ve got a snake cave same as a box with moss in it
My 2 love their caves
They use it when they are not shedding
Good luck
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twolunger
04-22-2018, 03:14 PM
There are two main concerns with incomplete sheds. One is that the eye caps are retained, and the other is old skin left on the tail. Damp hides are useful when a snake is going into a shed, but once there are partial sheds I don't take any chances. Soak the snake in lukewarm water, 82-84 degrees for 20 minutes and then let her slither through damp paper towels or face cloths held in your hands. The old skin will usually slide right back. You don't need to apply much pressure, just let her slither through on her own until all the old skin is removed.

Saml8
04-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Thanks twolunger! I decided to pull her out and give her a soak. Before I did that I got a weight on her and she is 21g. I know it's not an exact science but since the reptile store didn't know her exact age any good guesses for a 21g corn snake?

Nanci
04-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Just saw your message! I voted for soaking her. Sorry- I'm working a million hours of OT lately!

Saml8
04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks Nanci! I went ahead and soaked her yesterday for 20 minutes and that did get some of the shed off but not all of it. When I woke up this morning I found quite a bit of shed around the tank and from what I can tell she got all of it. I'm wondering if my humidity is going to be too low for her. I'm in Colorado where the humidity can be pretty low. What is the ideal humidity level for corn snakes?

Twolunger
04-23-2018, 03:05 PM
You don't need to worry about humidity until the snake is going into a shed. The humidity in my house is only 38%. When they are going into a shed I mist their container, but if I don't they just sit in their water bowls. I can't remember the last time I had a shedding problem. Many of our members just add a moist hide when they notice a shed is coming.

Zincubus
04-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Best thing to do is to keep your eyes open when he next goes into shed .
After a few days when the eyes clear and he gets his colour back you simply start SPRAYING/ misting the viv well morning , evening and then bedtime .

He will shed perfectly - two to five days later ...