PDA

View Full Version : Corn ate pinky while it was still alive

Corn ate pinky while it was still alive

Saml8
05-09-2018, 03:45 PM
I picked up a few pinkys that had been "pre-killed" with co2... got them home and one was still alive :awcrap: so I fed that one to my snake however she did not constrict it, just ate it while it was alive. Besides that being a bit difficult to watch should I be concerned that it was still alive?
**because she is 23 grams I went ahead and fed her a second pinky that was pre-killed.

crackerhead
05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
No worries, especially with pinkies. That is pretty common.

Terri

blacktip
05-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Yep, young corns are usually too lazy to constrict pinkies

Saml8
05-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Ok, thanks!

67temp
05-10-2018, 07:45 AM
12 of my 15 corns I had gotten when they were young. They had to learn how to constrict. They went from eating them live to whipping the prey around the tank then to progressed to constricting. I've tested 10 of mine on rats (pinks and pups). Every single one of them got confused and just ate it live without constricting.

Twolunger
05-10-2018, 11:05 AM
I really don't know what the fascination is with corns constricting their prey. The most important thing is that your corns eat, period. Forget about constricting and if you are going to worry, make it over something important. I have two adult males and seven females that never constrict. Why should they, the prey is dead, not fleeing. If you want to induce constricting, offer your frozen thawed warmed, and with tongs. Let the corn approach the mouse but keep moving it away until the corn strikes and grabs it. Usually they constrict the mouse, or will eventually.

Saml8
05-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Wasn't worried over not constricting just wasn't sure if I should be concerned that she swallowed it still kicking.