PDA

View Full Version : blue/feeding

blue/feeding

JasonS
09-14-2004, 06:59 PM
My corn just went blue yesterday, a day before feeding. I talk to the guy a the pet store where I bought her, and he said that he never had a problem feeding her even when she sheds. But I just gave her a pre-killed small rat (barely larger than a large mouse) and all she is doing is striking at it. I am thinking of taking the rat out and freezing it and waiting for another day. What do you guys think? When should I feed her again. And I imagine that she is pretty p/o right about now, should be fun to put her back in her tank.

Flygning
09-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Some snakes eat fine when they're in shed, some don't, some eat while they're actually doing the shedding, and some change their mind every once in a while. Don't worry too much about her refusing to eat. Just wait until after she is done shedding to feed. However, I wouldn't refreeze the mouse. I would suspect it's just like thawing a chicken and popping it back in the freezer--to much change to pick up weird bacteria and such. Also, did the guy at the store feed her rats or mice, frozen/thawed or live, and how long have you had her before trying to feed? A lot of things factor into a snake not eating sometimes.

JasonS
09-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Actually it was a fresh killed rat. I don't have a problem popping a rat in the head for my snake. This is the third time that I have feed her (just got her), and last time I did the same thing and she couldn't eat it fast enough. The guy at the pet store fed her a couple large mice at a time, alive I believe. So it might take awhile to get totally acustomed to pre-killed, I won't feed her live rats, they can carry a mean bite.

Flygning
09-14-2004, 07:41 PM
Ah, then it is probably just that she decided she wasn't hungry while she shed. Just wait until she's finished, and it should be fine :) Good luck with her.