PDA

View Full Version : Snake Not Eating

Snake Not Eating

kodasnake
06-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Koda is approx 5 years old. Always been a great eater, except when prepping to shed. Then behavior changed. Struck but didn’t eat, started wanting out to roam (lazy guy usually), hanging out on rocks. So thought it could be mites, though I observed nothing. Changed out bedding and shed box moss. Behavior reverted to pre-shed. Left him be and then he shed, but did not exhibit usual hunger behavior after shedding and went back to shed box. So six weeks no food, looking thin. I can see his heart beat. I tried to get him to eat. He was clearly adverse. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twolunger
06-09-2019, 03:06 AM
Males often stop eating when they are searching for a mate, but they don't usually get thin . Was he ever checked for internal parasites? i would find a good vet as soon as possible.

kodasnake
06-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Thx for feedback. This forum was the first I’d heard about males and mates, but good to know that they don’t get thin. I do have an exotics vet, so I’ll take him in.

Twolunger
06-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Let us know what the vet says. Hope it's just a minor problem.

kodasnake
06-10-2019, 10:26 PM
OMG, my male snake laid a clutch of eggs today!!! Clearly I was misinformed. She has had no contact with any other snakes, so must be infertile. I haven’t a clue what to do here. At least her change in behavior is explained. Haven’t read a lick on female snakes and breeding. Yikes. I’ll take all advice. I can’t abide by the idea of taking her eggs away. I wonder if she’ll abandon them?

MysticExotics
06-10-2019, 11:02 PM
It's fine to take the eggs away, you can toss them.