PDA

View Full Version : getting my first corn need advice on equiptment

getting my first corn need advice on equiptment

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 12:53 PM
Ive had chinchillas and hedgehogs and whatnot, just never a snake. I need advice on some equiptment. What would you guys recommend as a good heat lamp, undertank heat pad, and substrate? Try to keep the prices within reason, I dont need top of the line stuff. Thanks for the help.

B-J@y
07-09-2002, 01:13 PM
I don't know where you are from, so i cant advise you on the prices! but i can advise u to buy the cornsnake manual by bill and kathy love! it is realy great! you can order it here (http://corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/The%20Corn%20Snake%20Manual%20-%20Book%20Ordering%20Info.htm) It is realy a great book!

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 01:47 PM
thanks ill look into that, i live in toronto canada so if that helps in any way... anyways, what do you guys use for heat lamps/pads, thats the real question here.

jim
07-09-2002, 02:02 PM
hi. good luck with your first snake. i'd also recommend reading the corn snake manual before you get the snake. if you plan on using an undertank heater (better than a lamp IMO) you will not need a lamp. one heat source is normally all you will need and there are more risks associated with lamps rather than pads. with a uth it is a good idea to wire a rheostat (dimmer) switch into the pad in order to regulate the temperature better. as far as a tank your best bet is to get a 20 gallon long with a screen lid. i would get at least 4 and even better would be 6 of the locks to clamp the top onto the aquarium. corns are masters at escaping through the narrowest of crevices (believe me on this one) and it is a good idea to have the cage as secure as possible. the best substrates for corns are aspen or paper towels but repti-bark, newspaper, and cypress mulch are acceptable alternatives in most cases. sand, pine, cedar, and corn cob should really be avoided as all of them carry considerable health risks to snakes. i'm sure you'll get many good opinions (and occasionally the well-intentioned bad advice) from everyone here so stay awhile. there are MANY MANY things you will learn here... good luck... :) ---jim

reaper
07-09-2002, 02:24 PM
i agree with the rest just like to add dont forget hides one at each end and a water bowl for fresh drinking water

SilverTongue
07-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Also very importent is not to feed life food. http://www.redtailboa.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=383

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 03:13 PM
ya, I basically knew all that stuff :cool: what im asking is what brand of pad and stuff, thanks for the replies though!

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 03:15 PM
also i have a 20 gallon (maybe 30) old aquarium, 3.5'x1.5'x1.5', ive been told its big enough but im not sure if i can find a screen for it. are screens sold in different sizes/dimensions or do they only come with a vivarium?

jim
07-09-2002, 04:08 PM
you can find screen lids to fit any standard size aquarium pretty cheaply just be sure that the larger the aquarium the more locking clips you get for it. i currentlyam using both t-rex and zoo-med heat pads and both work quite well with a dimmer switch. i think the zoo-med pads get quite a bit hotter than the t-rex pads if you don't use a dimmer so that would be something to be wary of. i would suggest setting it up after you get the substrate and pad and monitoring your temps for awhile before you get the snake. a GOOD thermometer is one of the most important and often overlooked things you should have. once again good luck... :) ---jim

pinatamonkey
07-09-2002, 04:19 PM
You should be able to find a screen top. My local petsmart sells them in a couple different sizes. The only bad thing about heat pads is that some get TOO hot - I measured the temp of one of mine and it was 120° (maybe hotter - 120 was the most the thermometer could measure). Good luck.

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 05:04 PM
thanks guys, i already have a good thermometer thats why i didnt ask. thanks ill try to find a t-rex/zoo-med.

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 06:46 PM
check this cover out

www.zoomed.com/html/slider_hood.html

is this kind of cover i need for the corn im going to get? if so, is this everything ill need when i bring it home:

terrarium (its smaller than i thought 36"lx12"dx16"h)
slider hood (see above)
repti-bark
2 thermometers
heat pad
dimmer for pad
water bowl
2 hiding places
pinky mice

is that it? and also should i add a branch? i hear they dont climb much and its not worth it. thanks for any advice.

jim
07-09-2002, 07:11 PM
try this link:
www.zoomed.com/html/screen_covers.html
the sliding top may be a bit more than what you need. the ones in the link are cheap and work quite well when you install enough clips correctly. you can find one at most any pet store.
one other suggestion i have is to warn you away from repti-bark. it is a fairly good substrate and you may be able to use it indefinitely with no problems but problems can happen while using it. it expands quite a bit when it absorbs moisture and if accidentally ingested it can cause blockages in snakes especially young ones. this is less of a problem if you feed outside the cage but still can happen. aspen is made of smaller particles and therefore has less potential to cause an intestinal blockage.
some corns will climb quite a bit and others seem to have no interest in it at all so a branch is pretty much up to you. a cheap way is just find an appropriate-sized piece of wood and toss it in the oven on 200 for 15 minutes or so to kill any parasites and use it in your terrarium. much cheaper than $20 for a pece of driftwood. have fun... :) ---jim

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 08:04 PM
thanks for the advice on substrate, ill get some aspen. with the screen top i still need a light over the terrarium right? if so, just a light or a heat lamp type thing. is a heat lamp necessary when using a heat pad?

Katie
07-09-2002, 08:38 PM
No heat lamp needed when you have an undertank heater. I have a zoo-med under tank heater and I don't have a light at all. The only reason you may consider getting a light is for viewing purposes but since corns are nocturnal and tend to come out only at night in the dark (at least mine does) it's a waste of money if you're going for cheap and effective.

Oh yeah, and unlike lizards, corns don't need ultraviolet light so you won't need a light for that either.

timarmstrong
07-09-2002, 09:19 PM
great, more money in my pocket. thanks katie.

CornsnakeKeeper
07-10-2002, 11:13 AM
Another little money saving tip is to buy the doggie water bowls that have the sides opened so that you can lift them easily. The snakes love to go in there and hide, plus you have a water bowl. Paper towel tubes are a favorite here too...